MFGG Forums
abusive devv team leader - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: abusive devv team leader (/showthread.php?tid=616)

abusive devv team leader - Nessa - 03-08-2018

i just had a run in w/ the most toxic programmer and game [not gaem] leader. i did a sprite art for his and he made demands like it was no business of a ppl and if he didnt like something he would tell me literally 'no r***rd i said like this' and sometimes use all caps. i finally told him i cant work with an on ffor somebody who ttreats me like a way and he replyed with the longest message known to man full of a flamer. i didnt read the whole thing bcuz it was so long and i wasnt going to use so much time to read so much a bad about me

have u ever found urself working with a abusive devv partner or leader in a devvment project?

RE: abusive devv team leader - HylianDev - 03-08-2018

Thankfully, I've never dealt with this.

At my age, if somebody said one abusive thing to me while I was trying to work on a project with them, that would be it. When you're new to the internet or a teen you have the time and patience to deal with that, but a healthy level of respect is a basic requirement for me to do business with somebody.

RE: abusive devv team leader - VinnyVideo - 03-08-2018

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with a toxic team leader or teammate. Most of the time when I make games, I'm the team lead. If I need help with testing, debugging, or spriting, I'll get a handful of trusted friends to help out. Occasionally I've collaborated on bigger team projects, and those tend to fail - not because of toxic people, but because it's more fun to start projects than it is to do the work needed to finish them, and it's difficult to sustain people's interest for an extended period when they're working for free.

However, toxic developers are a very real thing, and it is possible to encounter jerks. I hope you won't have to deal with anyone like that in the future, though.

RE: abusive devv team leader - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-08-2018

Sorry you have to deal with that. Unfortunately there are a lot of bitter people out there.

RE: abusive devv team leader - Mariotroid - 03-08-2018

You'l find assholes everywhere. Keep your chin up and you'l find better leaders.

RE: abusive devv team leader - SonicZetrex - 03-14-2018

Well, there have been a time when a friend of mine got accused of being a pedophile, probably because he fell in love with an underage. Though, that may be strange to wonder, but it's obscure to see the reason why. But I do know he's innocent and never do such crimes on a girl like any one could. Though, I wouldn't call it "abusive", it's just what I've found very daunting about it. But I still believe that he never does it at all.

~It's the leader's assumption, but sadly, I can't tell you the name of the one responsible for the "drama" he caused.

RE: abusive devv team leader - ReinlynxPSI - 03-27-2018

Well, I'd have to say that one of the worst people I've ever dealt with was the lead dev for Indie Game Battle (if anyone remembers that game). His name was Felix, and before he cancelled his wannabe Smash Bros. due to "H8ers haha funy!11!!" reasons (when in reality it was more people getting tired of his crap), a lot of people saw getting into his game as a big deal.

For one, the game wasn't even that good. Character models, animations, and balance was very next-to-none, a true case where quality > quantity was obviously not even trying to be achieved and they just wanted to shove in as much crap as possible. Secondly, the characters Felix made were noticeably much better than the other characters, the most extreme examples I can think of being his characters "Matty" and "Cal" who were literally so good that you could knock them to the boundary and they'd still have a chance of recovering. Finally, the idea of putting indie games into one big fighter is an awful, awful idea. Because of the amount of pretentious devs and devs who wouldn't know majesty if it hit them in the face, the roster the game had was filled with characters never heard of with a lot of them looking to be Undertale or Freedom Planet-wannabe games.

Okay, back on subject, about Felix. I was one of those pretentious devs once, and tried getting one of my characters into the game. I made a moveset and everything, and had gameplay of my game, but apparently that wasn't enough and I had to put more work into my game before I could get my character into the game. This was around the time Mit was helping me improve my spriting skills, and my game's art style was going through an incredible overhaul.

So, I decided to show Felix some of the work I had, and he immediately accused me of tracing Mother sprites. He started going on, talking trash about some of the other dev's characters in IGB, calling them "OCs" despite his characters not being much better, looking a lot like wannabe Earthbound characters as well. Even after proving I didn't trace over Earthbound sprites to make my characters, he insisted that I did and got a few of the other indie devs on the team to go after me for it.

I quit the project after that, and while I may just sound like I'm whining a bit right now, Felix later cancelled the project after a few other devs who, while pretentious, dealt with a lot more crap than Felix dished out towards me. According to what I've read, Felix was hypocritical, manipulated people, bribed reviews, tried to keep people quiet by having his group of devoted supporters go after anyone he didn't like/already screwed over, stole graphics from others... It's pretty bad stuff. Thankfully, people still managed to expose his true colors and he had to cancel his game afterwards because his reputation went out the window.

Oh, and you can still buy IGB on Steam. He didn't ever take down the game in hopes people would still buy it.

RE: abusive devv team leader - OssieTheOstrich - 03-28-2018

(03-27-2018, 06:31 PM)ReinlynxPSI Wrote: Well, I'd have to say that one of the worst people I've ever dealt with was the lead dev for Indie Game Battle (if anyone remembers that game). His name was Felix, and before he cancelled his wannabe Smash Bros. due to "H8ers haha funy!11!!" reasons (when in reality it was more people getting tired of his crap), a lot of people saw getting into his game as a big deal.

For one, the game wasn't even that good. Character models, animations, and balance was very next-to-none, a true case where quality > quantity was obviously not even trying to be achieved and they just wanted to shove in as much crap as possible. Secondly, the characters Felix made were noticeably much better than the other characters, the most extreme examples I can think of being his characters "Matty" and "Cal" who were literally so good that you could knock them to the boundary and they'd still have a chance of recovering. Finally, the idea of putting indie games into one big fighter is an awful, awful idea. Because of the amount of pretentious devs and devs who wouldn't know majesty if it hit them in the face, the roster the game had was filled with characters never heard of with a lot of them looking to be Undertale or Freedom Planet-wannabe games.

Okay, back on subject, about Felix. I was one of those pretentious devs once, and tried getting one of my characters into the game. I made a moveset and everything, and had gameplay of my game, but apparently that wasn't enough and I had to put more work into my game before I could get my character into the game. This was around the time Mit was helping me improve my spriting skills, and my game's art style was going through an incredible overhaul.

So, I decided to show Felix some of the work I had, and he immediately accused me of tracing Mother sprites. He started going on, talking trash about some of the other dev's characters in IGB, calling them "OCs" despite his characters not being much better, looking a lot like wannabe Earthbound characters as well. Even after proving I didn't trace over Earthbound sprites to make my characters, he insisted that I did and got a few of the other indie devs on the team to go after me for it.

I quit the project after that, and while I may just sound like I'm whining a bit right now, Felix later cancelled the project after a few other devs who, while pretentious, dealt with a lot more crap than Felix dished out towards me. According to what I've read, Felix was hypocritical, manipulated people, bribed reviews, tried to keep people quiet by having his group of devoted supporters go after anyone he didn't like/already screwed over, stole graphics from others... It's pretty bad stuff. Thankfully, people still managed to expose his true colors and he had to cancel his game afterwards because his reputation went out the window.

Oh, and you can still buy IGB on Steam. He didn't ever take down the game in hopes people would still buy it.
Wow, this was a really interesting story. 1uped!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.