MFGG Forums
The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! (/showthread.php?tid=624)

The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Saltman - 03-09-2018

Whew guys. Just yesterday, Nintendo announced 3 consecutive Mario game remakes! Luigi's Mansion for 3DS, Captain Toad for 3DS, and even BiS for 3DS!

Add Bowser's Minions and The Top 100 to that and that's 5 remade Mario games for the 3DS. That's crazy, but also awesome because I never had the opportunity to play these and I was considering getting a 3ds soon! 

What's with all these remakes anyway? People say it's because the 3DS is dying. but hey, Reggie said it'll be alive for long, right?

What do you think?

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Kritter - 03-09-2018

Captain Toad is a great choice for the 3DS. I wish the Switch version was a new game though, it's such a pity to get a half-assed port with a few new levels when they could quite easily have made a new game with the idea.

I REALLY don't think Bowser's Inside Story needs to be remade in that 3D art style, it's not even that old by comparison and the graphical style holds up just fine. 

As for Luigi's Mansion, it seems like a step back seeing as they already have a sequel on the 3DS but I suppose it's fine if you never experienced it the first time around. I can't really seem to get into the first game though.

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - DustinVG - 03-09-2018

I stand by my opinion that Luigi's Mansion would've looked and played leagues better on Switch. I know the 3DS still has a market in Japan, but it's kinda leeching off the new console at this point.

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-09-2018

I think Luigi's Mansion would have been better porting over to the switch, but I don't mind that one coming to 3DS. I don't mind the Toad game coming to 3DS either as I think it makes a lot more sense on a portable system than on the Wii U.

Bowser's Inside Story, though, does not need a remake. Its graphics hold up to modern standards and, being a DS game, it can be played on the 3DS. Very odd that they'd decide to do this. It made sense with SS because that game's graphics were dated (though the remake was a downgrade in terms of design and animations) and because that game couldn't be played on the 3DS, but this is unnecessary and it looks uglier than the original.

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Vitiman - 03-09-2018

I have a question: why did they skip Partners in Time? Not that I wanted them to sully it in the same way they pretty much watered down Superstar Saga, but why did they just blatantly skip ahead to the third one like that? I know PiT is considered largely average, but I actually found it better than BiS (although it doesn't beat the first game).

As for Luigi's Mansion, I was really happy to see that. Especially since it seems more like an enhanced port than a remake, with the character models looking (for the most part) untouched. The new boss trial mode looks pretty cool, although I confess to finding those boring and it mostly seems like an attempt to pad out the game since it was always more on the short side.

On a side note, I really hope they finally add the bonus PAL mansion in this one.

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - OssieTheOstrich - 03-10-2018

On the subject of the Luigi's Mansion port/remake, will Nintendo add the rumored, unused Safari Ghost?

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-10-2018

(03-10-2018, 12:14 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote: On the subject of the Luigi's Mansion port/remake, will Nintendo add the rumored, unused Safari Ghost?

I highly doubt it. There’s really not any solid evidence that it was ever even planned to be in the game at all, so I doubt they’ll create a brand new enemy just because a rumor went around due to a misleading caption. I wouldn’t expect a port to add any unused content, especially not content that was never planned to begin with.

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - YoshisIsland3 - 03-10-2018

(03-09-2018, 11:26 PM)Vitiman Wrote: I have a question: why did they skip Partners in Time? Not that I wanted them to sully it in the same way they pretty much watered down Superstar Saga, but why did they just blatantly skip ahead to the third one like that? I know PiT is considered largely average, but I actually found it better than BiS (although it doesn't beat the first game).

As for Luigi's Mansion, I was really happy to see that. Especially since it seems more like an enhanced port than a remake, with the character models looking (for the most part) untouched. The new boss trial mode looks pretty cool, although I confess to finding those boring and it mostly seems like an attempt to pad out the game since it was always more on the short side.

On a side note, I really hope they finally add the bonus PAL mansion in this one.

On another note, Luigi's model has been changed to the newer one, which bothers me a little, but it's a improvement over the last one, the last one had a bit more expression though.

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-10-2018

(03-10-2018, 11:37 AM)YoshisIsland3 Wrote: On another note, Luigi's model has been changed to the newer one, which bothers me a little, but it's a improvement over the last one, the last one had a bit more expression though.

I'm looking at head to head comparison photos but I'm not seeing too many differences in his model. There's definitely some retexturing going on, but the model seems pretty much the same just a much lower resolution. His expressions do seem slightly less exaggerated, but it's hard to tell. There are also some effects missing, like Luigi being flattened when the doors crush him. I suppose that's due to 3DS limitations?

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - littlelum - 03-10-2018

I don't know about other people, but for me, I strongly dislike remakes. Every time I get a game, about a year later a remake is announced, usually containing new content, and here I am kicking myself for buying the original a year before

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Mr. Yoshbert - 03-12-2018

(03-09-2018, 11:26 PM)Michelangelo Wrote: I have a question: why did they skip Partners in Time? 
[...]
I know PiT is considered largely average, but
That is why.  Reception was positive for Partners in Time, but it didn't perform as well as Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, critically and financially.  They also confirmed that BIS was the best-selling and most critically-acclaimed game in the series, which was why Dream Team took many elements from it.  Makes sense that they'd go for that one.

(03-09-2018, 09:58 PM)Dustinvgmaster Wrote: I know the 3DS still has a market in Japan, but it's kinda leeching off the new console at this point.
The 3DS, believe it or not, is still going on strong outside Japan too thanks to a holiday sales boost.  Thank Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon for that.

Also, I doubt that the 3DS getting a bunch of remakes, ports, "best of" collections, and localizations of semi-niche games will hurt the Switch that much.  Pretty sure that we'd all much highly prefer a brand-new Luigi's Mansion/WarioWare/Mario & Luigi coming to the Switch instead.

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Syaxamaphone - 03-12-2018

I'll probably stick to the original Gamecube Luigi's Mansion, but if you've never played I strongly urge you to grab the remake. LM is a personal favorite of mine!

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - DustinVG - 03-12-2018

(03-12-2018, 08:14 AM)Mr. Yoshbert Wrote: Pretty sure that we'd all much highly prefer a brand-new Luigi's Mansion/WarioWare/Mario & Luigi coming to the Switch instead.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Saltman - 03-12-2018

Not really. I actually kind of want this, even though it was unexpected.

Any game that has been made for the Gamecube should be welcomed if ported to another console, because it didn't sell well and all that.

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Baby Kermit - 03-14-2018

(03-09-2018, 06:44 PM)Kritter Wrote: Captain Toad is a great choice for the 3DS. I wish the Switch version was a new game though, it's such a pity to get a half-assed port with a few new levels when they could quite easily have made a new game with the idea.

I REALLY don't think Bowser's Inside Story needs to be remade in that 3D art style, it's not even that old by comparison and the graphical style holds up just fine. 

As for Luigi's Mansion, it seems like a step back seeing as they already have a sequel on the 3DS but I suppose it's fine if you never experienced it the first time around. I can't really seem to get into the first game though.

Luigis mansion is a very fun game i like it more than Dark moon

i would like nintendo to make a remake of Mario Sun shine next to and have Luigis Mansion and Mario Sunshine together in 1 special box  Smile

RE: The Nintendo 3DS remake/Port epidemic! - Jaden1291 the Toad - 03-31-2018

I've heard about those remakes and they're gonna be exciting! Captain Toad for 3DS? Huge YES.
Speaking about the Bowser's Inside Story remake, I'm getting that one. That's the only Mario and Luigi game I didn't play in the DS era (which is really sad.) Time to catch up! Not sure about Luigi's Mansion though.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.