MFGG Forums
HellJumper's Hellish Pixel Drop Zone - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: HellJumper's Hellish Pixel Drop Zone (/showthread.php?tid=664)

Pages: 1 2 3

HellJumper's Hellish Pixel Drop Zone - HellJumper - 03-22-2018

This is a thread where I will be sharing my art, and if you're interested, or see anything odd about the art I am showing, leave a reply down below explaining what you think, and how you feel it could be better. 

One thing you must keep in mind however, is that I am trying to stay as true to their modern designs from the games as possible. Mainly, the GameCube/DS era. They mostly have the same design in that era as they do now, but when I say I'm basing the sprites of the GameCube/DS/Early Wii era, I'm mainly talking about the color choices. 

Lets start off with Waluigi, who I have been working on for a while. It started off as an attempt at making Waluigi in Neweegee's 2D Worlx style which I am personally very fond of, but it gradually evolved into it's own art style. Here, you can see the process it went through, and what it looks like now. 

[Image: super_mario_coalition__waluigi_sprite_ev...xr_fn3z-jI]

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - OssieTheOstrich - 03-22-2018

Pretty nice!

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-22-2018

That's great improvement. The anatomy has definitely gotten more convincing, even just from 3 to 4. His stance also has much more character.

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - Willsaber - 03-24-2018

Awesome work, dude! I think it's great that somebody is filling the niche for super on-model Mario sprites, because most Mario game art is pretty abstracted.

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - HellJumper - 03-24-2018

Despite being the main characters, I started making Mario and Luigi after I had already started Waluigi, because at first, I was just trying to make Waluigi in the 2D Worlx style, a style that already had Mario and Luigi, so I only started making them by the time I got to version 3 of Waluigi, when I was starting to see this as it's own art style. Similarly to Waluigi, version 4 looks much better than all previous versions. I don't know how I thought those other ones were good. 

[Image: psIyIyN.png]

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - OssieTheOstrich - 03-24-2018

Where's version 4?

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - HellJumper - 03-24-2018

(03-24-2018, 12:39 PM)Ostrich101 Wrote: Where's version 4?

Well, version 3 of Mario and Luigi, and version 4 of Waluigi are the same version technically. But Mario and Luigi's first version is actually the same as Waluigi's third, and Mario and Luigi's second are in the middle of Waluigi's third and fourth. Does your head hurt yet?

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - OssieTheOstrich - 03-25-2018

(03-24-2018, 01:05 PM)HellJumper Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 12:39 PM)Ostrich101 Wrote: Where's version 4?

Well, version 3 of Mario and Luigi, and version 4 of Waluigi are the same version technically. But Mario and Luigi's first version is actually the same as Waluigi's third, and Mario and Luigi's second are in the middle of Waluigi's third and fourth. Does your head hurt yet?
Yes, yes it does.

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - HellJumper - 03-28-2018

[Image: kBZUwxJ.png]

I think this is a better comparison for each character. And I just finished up editing Wario. What do you think?

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-28-2018

They look very nice! Wario's hand is the only thing that bothers me if I'm to nitpick. Right now it gives the illusion that he has no thumb, so perhaps something more like this would work better:
[Image: 0SIUZWn.png]

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - HellJumper - 04-05-2018

[Image: Vkwrk6z.png]

Oof those old ones sucked.

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - Mariotroid - 04-11-2018

I don't think they sucked. This all looks fairly amazing.

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - HellJumper - 04-12-2018

[Image: 4DU7CBg.png]

I've made some small changes recently. Here's what they all currently look like. I'm nearly finished with Mario's running animation here, so I'll show you that once it's done.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I still need to change Wario's hand there.

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - HellJumper - 04-24-2018

[Image: Mario_Running_Animation.gif]

Mario's running animation as of now.

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-24-2018

It looks nice but the way his hat flips so quickly looks a little odd to me

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - HellJumper - 05-06-2018

[Image: 7AbPfBR.gif]

Slight update. Made the hat flip a lot smoother. Does that fix it? 

I still need to make it so that he turns his head slightly to the side on the last 4 frames, and I might just change his arms and hands entirely, because that is not how he runs in the games. He usually keeps his arms pretty level. Right now, it looks like Wario's from Wario Land 4.

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - Pedigree - 05-06-2018

Looks better to me at least!

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - Mariotroid - 05-07-2018

That's a beautiful sprite.

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - HellJumper - 05-08-2018

JuSt YoUr TyPiCaL 2dWoRlX eDiT bY jElLhUmPeR! HuE hUe! 

[Image: ySbYgfn.gif]

In all seriousness, here's Mario's idle animation in its current state. And before anyone says, yes, this was inspired by Mario's idle animation from Midas Machine. Notice anything wrong with it, just let me know, and I'll consider whatever you've got to say about it, as long as your argument is well constructed of course, and doesn't just consist of "it's not expreeeessive enough." 

RE: HellJumper's Sprite Showcase - GamerInGeorgia - 05-08-2018

Looks great! The thing is, it seems kind of weird that Mario only looks in one direction, but that might just be me. Maybe you should make him look over his shoulder? I don't know. It's up to you. Also, Mario seems kind of stiff, except for the moving hand when he scratches his nose and when he looks to the side. I don't know if this counts as saying "it's not expreeeessive enough" (as you put it), but I'm just trying to critique the sprite to the best of my ability. Keep up the good work!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.