MFGG Forums
DEMO Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats [ON HOLD] - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: DEMO Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats [ON HOLD] (/showthread.php?tid=719)

Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats [ON HOLD] - sc00pj0hn - 04-07-2018

NOTICE: This game has an amount of strange things like crudely drawn sprites, bizarre plotlines, intentional english inaccuracy and mild content. This is a parody game and any real life person involved in this game is NOT harmed at all, just so the villain's depictions are made solely for fun.

In Monsteropolis, nobody can hear you funpost.
[Image: J50Ksu7.png]

This game is based off one of the worst Mega Man 2 ROM hacks to ever date, Cut Man's Bad Scizzors Day, It follows the story of a sort-of a "retired from fighting" robot master, Cut Man (from Mega Man 1), whose role of "king of the world" has been defamated by a oatmeal company known as the Mr. Quaker Oats. This game is a follow up to said ROM hack, and it starts right after the ending of the ROM hack (Cut Man has defeated Wilford Brimley, the tv advertiser for Mr. Quaker Oats, who has summoned 8 pop culture characters (the "evals") including Pikachu, Jackie Chan, Kangaroo Jack, the Lucky Charms Man, Aquaman, George W. Washington, Britney Spears and Carrot Top), where Cut Man has become king again, until Wilford apparently rises up again (a reference to the Mega Man games' plot where Dr. Wily returns after every loss) and swears for revenge on Cut Man by sending him few of his old evals aswell his new ones.
It is time for Cut Man to get back on his job, along with his new friend Elec Man, to defeat the evil company.

For an interesting take on this fan-made sequel (that nobody asked for), this game makes use of WreckingPrograms' Mega Engine, a more recent Mega Man-styled engine for GameMaker: Studio, along with Game Boy-based spirit, alluding to the Mega Man game boy series (from Mega Man I to V). Some interesting stuff to encounter such as:
  • Over 20+ bosses and a dozen amount of levels.
  • Classic Game Boy styled game play borrowed from the Mega Man series.
  • Strange enemies to face off.
  • A bizarre plot involving some Mega Man characters facing off a... food company.
  • Pop culture from all the world.
  • Randomly borrowed Game Boy game music, including covered ones by me.
Screenshots:

Currently, the game's on a one-stage demo state, found on this game's Game Jolt page. https://gamejolt.com/games/cut-man-bsd-roo/331624
If you want to get down into recieving news of this game, make sure you get in contact with my Discord server (I don't update my GameJolt devlog too much, but my Discord server has a bigger updating rate): https://discord.gg/bh5NTxd

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - YoshisIsland3 - 04-07-2018

This is pretty cool, I've played the rom hack before and beaten a couple of bosses, but a sequel could add more to it than just being a reskin.
Also 20+ bosses for a Megaman game? Isn't that a bit too much? They usually have 8 and then the Wily Stages, but still, I am looking forward to this game.

EDIT: Do you mean 16 in total of robot masters and the additional 4 being Wily Castle bosses and the final boss.

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - bearofsquares - 04-07-2018

as someone who played the original cutman's bad scissors day and loved it, i can safely say i am incredibly hyped for this.
it's amazing to see such an old and bad hack get recognition nowadays, and now it's got an unofficial sequel as well!
i'd love to see how this turns out, hope it goes well!

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - sc00pj0hn - 04-07-2018

(04-07-2018, 12:31 PM)YoshisIsland3 Wrote: This is pretty cool, I've played the rom hack before and beaten a couple of bosses, but a sequel could add more to it than just being a reskin.
Also 20+ bosses for a Megaman game? Isn't that a bit too much? They usually have 8 and then the Wily Stages, but still, I am looking forward to this game.

EDIT: Do you mean 16 in total of robot masters and the additional 4 being Wily Castle bosses and the final boss.

The game is not going to be a simple reskin. Basically, there's five returning robot masters from the original rom hack while there's new 5 ones that aren't seen before. That will make 10 robot masters, which however, the first 5 will be fought in a first batch. The reason there's about 20 (may be not a confirmed number but it's a planned number) is because this game's length depends from the amount of stages i'll be putting in the game. I won't tell exactly what there will be in it.

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - Snessy the duck - 04-07-2018

I do hope reconfigurable controls will be a part of the full game. Also, I'd suggest implementing quick weapon switching, I know that wasn't a part of the Game Boy games but it just feels weird to not have it there.

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - sc00pj0hn - 04-08-2018

(04-07-2018, 02:49 PM)Snessy the duck Wrote: I do hope reconfigurable controls will be a part of the full game. Also, I'd suggest implementing quick weapon switching, I know that wasn't a part of the Game Boy games but it just feels weird to not have it there.

Configurable controls is something good, but i'll have to get to a programmer here to tell me how. Regarding the quick weapon switch, i removed that simply because i wanted to be more emulative to the Game Boy games, but i guess i'll have that back due to demand!

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - VinnyVideo - 04-10-2018

I played it and had fun, even though I don't have a lot of experience with Mega Man hacks.

The Kangaroo Jack boss seems like it would be extremely hard to beat, though, since you really can't outrun it.

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - sc00pj0hn - 04-11-2018

(04-10-2018, 08:08 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: I played it and had fun, even though I don't have a lot of experience with Mega Man hacks.

The Kangaroo Jack boss seems like it would be extremely hard to beat, though, since you really can't outrun it.

I am not perfect in achieving no damage runs, so while testing this boss i always have been damaged by that, however, if your skilled enough with the slide, you can go through Kangajoo Jak / Kangaroo Jack while he performs the jumps. It's not easy to avoid even when you do this trick.

Speaking about Mega Man ROM hacks, i've actually only played Bad Scissors Day while i played the original Mega Man trilogy in the NES. ._.

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - sc00pj0hn - 04-12-2018

Taken from my GameJolt devlog:

Quote:From five days since the demo’s release, i would like to thank you for trying out the demo. I am very glad that it has obtained a piece of popularity and it’s the first time i’ve properly worked with a group of people to work on this game. It was hard to start it up but things are going smoother, but not fast than i used to be. Currently, after Kangajoo Jak, the next boss to be featured in this game is Cuphead from the titular game.

However, due to my frequent updating on the game’s Discord server, the Game Jolt page’s devlog will be only updated with changelogs once the game will come out, but sometimes i will bring in important announcements, so don’t hesitate to join my Discord server if you want to follow my live development log: https://discord.gg/bh5NTxd

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - sc00pj0hn - 05-24-2018

I entirely apologise for the delay since last month, but we've been unable to progress after we've attempted to begin on working Cuphead's stage. I'm pretty much late to tell it, but we don't have a very active and relevant devteam i can take care of, so for now the development for this project is halted.

RE: Cut Man's Bad Scissors Day: The Return of Oats - VinnyVideo - 05-24-2018

That's understandable. Getting a team to stay engaged for the long haul can be challenging.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.