MFGG Forums
affiliate with 1-up world - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Resolved Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: affiliate with 1-up world (/showthread.php?tid=73)

affiliate with 1-up world - mit - 11-27-2017

1-up world is a discord server that's already affiliated with many of the major mario fansite pillars- mario wiki, SMBX, r/mario, and more- and i think we should definitely be one of them. they recently got partnered with discord, so now they're basically the go-to mario discord.

an affiliation would direct a lot of new users to MFGG (many of which don't even know that we still exist let alone ever existed at all), and the overlap would be very good for the community socially speaking. we could also have 1-up world become the official discord of MFGG, since our current discord is still fairly up in the air.

some 1-up world staff were already considering this affiliation, including our very own @Cake, so they would probably also have good things to say regarding this.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - DustinVG - 11-27-2017

I'm still for it

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Pedigree - 11-27-2017

Go for it.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - VinnyVideo - 11-27-2017

I'd be all right with an affiliation. I think it's important that we build mutually beneficial ties with related communities. I'd rather not get rid of the MFGG Discord, though - it's nice to have our own spot with mostly MFGGers to hang out with.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - mit - 11-27-2017

it's possible for them to have an MFGG channel exclusively for MFGGers, which is already the case for mariowiki

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Money - 11-27-2017

I'm on the side of "affiliate and have a channel there dedicated to MFGG/fangame dev if possible, but keep the current MFGG discord". I don't think a single channel is big enough for MFGG, personally, but I love the idea of partnering and getting some good good cross promotion.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Cake - 11-28-2017

Mit summed it up pretty well. I'm happy that everyone supports the affiliation so far, too! However, I should probably lay out the differences between a standard affiliation, and 1-Up World being the official MFGG server:

Affiliation
An affiliation would mean listing MFGG (site, server, and banner), in our #affiliate channel. It's definitely a good source of traffic for the curious, and it'd help keep MFGG relevant.

The full list of benefits include:
•MFGG affiliate listing
•1-Up World opens up #mods-and-fangames
•Occasional cross community events
•MFGG staff are given the Ambassador role

In return, 1-Up World is listed under affiliates.

1-Up World becomes the Official MFGG Server
Official partnership, while more complicated, would attract far more users to MFGG. We'd integrate everything we can from the forums and the test server: twitter updates, competitions, your favorite roles and emotes, and of course, the staff team. It's a lot more encouragement for people to participate in the forums; it can even revitalize the site.

The full list of benefits include:
•All of the affiliate benefits
•A new news channel is opened up for the MFGG twitter feed
•Full competition integration (including comp rewards)
•A cool, new private channel for forum members to hang out in (#mfgg-verified?)
•A public channel to discuss events surrounding MFGG, such as competitions. (May be integrated into the channel above) 
•MFGG roles are created for 1-Up World. These will reflect status on the main site and the forums.
•MFGG staff are made admins / mods of 1-Up World. 

In return, 1-Up World is put on the sidebar, under the forums link.

The first option is easy to agree on, but the second option will be far more impactful. While 1-Up World may have more activity than you can track, that doesn't have to be a bad thing. This energy can flow back into MFGG, and give it the breath of fresh air it really needs. All of this comes at no extra burden to the MFGG staff; we already have an amazing staff team to moderate the chat. All we need is your consent.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Mr. Yoshbert - 11-28-2017

I'm for this affiliate. This type of exposure is something we could really use.

Good way to get the word out about dispelling the "Nintendo hates all fangames" meme too.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Syaxamaphone - 11-28-2017

As it stands the current official MFGG chat is almost indistinguishable from Hotel Delfino and share almost all of the same members. I wouldn't mind the official chat having a bit more fresh meat around.

If it ends up being a bit overwhelming, people can always retreat to HD for a bit if they like.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - PAC-BANZAI - 11-28-2017

What's a discord?

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Pedigree - 11-28-2017

It's a popular chat program and we are discussing servers on it. Please use Google for a question like this next time before derailing a suggestion thread.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Willsaber - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 06:11 PM)Pedigree Wrote: It's a popular chat program and we are discussing servers on it. Please use Google for a question like this next time before derailing a suggestion thread.
It was a relevant question to the subject, I think. People must be informed on what Discord is before they can properly pitch in to this discussion, so it's good to clarify this matter.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Syaxamaphone - 11-29-2017

(11-28-2017, 05:57 PM)JacobLeBeauREAL Wrote: What's a discord?

It's a chat program a lot of people use. MFGG is no exception my friend: https://discordapp.com/

Just think, you could instantly message with mfgg.net users from the comfort of your own home! The future is now!

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Cake - 11-29-2017

Oh, I forgot to mention that we already have tatsumaki in 1UW, haha
Essentially, making 1UW the offical MFGG server would just mean moving everything there. You'd be able to keep just about everything from the other MFGG servers. (Sans the anime channel, of course.)

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - The Dark Warrior - 11-29-2017

Few things to get out of the way first:
- I do like 1-UP World at the very least being a rather receptive community for artists like myself to showoff things we make.
- I am okay with affiliation, which ill elaborate why it is a better option than just making it the de-facto server for MFGG.
- Imaginary Cake is p cool as a friend.

Now then, my dissenting opinion is that I don't entirely believe it becoming the official server for MFGG is a good idea considering that a radically different community with foreign faces across different communities who may not necessarily have any interest in what we develop and showcase our fangames in this community, or even have an account on MFGG would care to contribute to the same activities MFGG prides itself on, let alone MFGG be cannibalized by those people.

I much rather want the MFGG and its official discord remain separate from 1-UP World let alone have an affiliation because you can get new members without having to make MFGG be that much of a stranger place if you were to just shift the community to 1-UP World by making 1-UP World the official place for MFGG as community. People coming in from 1-UP World should be able to recognize the community as it is, distinct from the rest of the communities that are out there.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - mit - 11-29-2017

i'm personally okay with the idea of it becoming the official discord but i understand the appeal of having our own chat as well.

while we are for the most part a fairly small and self-contained community, it's very important for us to socialize with our "neighbors" so we can get fresh eyes going both in and out. i think a large part of our recent problems stem from inadvertently shutting ourselves out from the rest of the world, which caused some pretty large upsets the few times we got new groups of users who saw the mess we made for ourselves. having our own personal in-community chat is nice to have for more casual discussions, yea, but when every time someone new joins the discord before the forums they're met with "WHO ARE YOU ON MFGG?", then i think there's a problem.

the affiliation would help regardless, but i'm with cake in that having it be the official discord would result in a lot of really great cross promotion stuff. i mean, they're already discord partners, this is the kind of opportunity we need to take when it comes our way. crossing over our events with theirs sounds like a really great and fun idea (the monthly faction battles immediately spring to mind), plus the potential additional presence on sites like reddit on top of our pre-existing facebook and twitter is even better.

RE: affiliate with 1-up world - Willsaber - 11-30-2017

If we integrate into 1-Up World, but keep the official MFGG chat separate, then we'd be splintered into three separate Discord groups (Hotel Delfino), which is kind of what Hotel Delfino was originally meant to prevent.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.