MFGG Forums
DEMO Super Mario Generations (Cancelled, Feedback Demo 2 Playable) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: DEMO Super Mario Generations (Cancelled, Feedback Demo 2 Playable) (/showthread.php?tid=792)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - OssieTheOstrich - 06-14-2019

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - OssieTheOstrich - 06-17-2019

Some more updates.

Modern Mario can now pickup Koopa shells.
Here is the footage before custom animations were made:
[Image: Modern_Shell_Throw.gif]

Here's the footage after:
[Image: Modern_Holding_Animations_WIP_5.gif]

Now like in Odyssey, doing the dive will now give Mario some jump height.
[Image: Diving_Jump_Height.gif]

Here's the new Odyssey styled idle animation for Modern Mario, the initial pose was created by me, and later animated by Langton.
[Image: New_Idle_WIP_3.gif]

Some smoother and more lively (..?) jumping animations.
[Image: Revamped_Jumping_Animations.gif]

A new walking animation based off Odyssey is coming soon, as well as Mario's house, which will be made by Langton.Wink

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - OssieTheOstrich - 06-21-2019

Okay, I have a lot of updates to show (or at least more compared to what I've been showing before this), so buckle up.

This might be more of a removal than an addition, but I changed the selections of the Marios to some more streamlined. Basically, you press Shift, and you'll turn into a different Mario depending on which Mario you were previously.
[Image: Sonic_Generations_Style_Changing.gif]

Gave small Mario a flagpole animation, and added the Flagpole score points.
[Image: Flagpole_Score_2.gif]
Same thing for Modern Mario, but I also added the Mario flag, changed the castle, and fixed a few bugs.
[Image: Flagpole_Score_5.gif]
Ground Pounding now has smoke coming out when you land, I added the Ground Pound sound effect and Mario voice with it, and it's also much faster to use.
[Image: Ground_Pound_4.gif]

Mario's house now has an actual sprite, created by Langton.
[Image: Marios_house.PNG]
The house is a W.I.P, however, and is presumably being changed as we speak.

Mario now has unique wall sliding animations depending on which side of a wall he's sliding off.
[Image: Wall_Jump_Animations.gif]​​​​​​

Paintings now show some level progress.
[Image: Level_Clearing.gif]
[Image: Level_Clearing_2.gif]
For example, if you completed a level as Classic Mario first, the painting will appear half completed, then if you complete the level again as Modern Mario, it'll be completed and you'll play a win animation. (You'll also get a Power Star, but I didn't code that in yet.)

Here's what the Power star looks like, by the way.
[Image: Power_Star.gif]

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - SilverVortex - 06-22-2019

i have an idea for a "changing marios" animation. you could make it somewhat like the baton pass from persona 5, as if they were tagging each other in and out. just an idea.
baton pass animation

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - JaberandCamgar - 06-22-2019

I just browsed your thread today, Ostrich101, and it looks amazing! You're putting in a lot of admirable little details into it. Is this game supposed to be taken off of Sonic Generations? From what I saw, there are apparently two variations of Mario that you can play as. Do you have a plot outline for your game that I could look at?

I figured it was about time for me to post on someone else's thread rather than spend all my time checking my Mario & Luigi thread for responses (which just today hit 1,000 views, BTW). I'm trying to work on showing some interest in other user's projects. It's always been an issue of mine.

Sounds like this fangame is coming along very well. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with next.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - Mariotroid - 06-26-2019

Hey this game was pretty fun. It's simple and definitely stays true to Mario.... I mean it IS a Mario fangame so what could I ask more for? I do think there should be more that makes this game unique but I like it so far. Maybe more original game mechanics? Anyway, good play and keep it up.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - OssieTheOstrich - 07-01-2019

(06-22-2019, 06:58 PM)JaberandCamgar Wrote: I just browsed your thread today, Ostrich101, and it looks amazing! You're putting in a lot of admirable little details into it.
Thanks man!
Is this game supposed to be taken off of Sonic Generations? From what I saw, there are apparently two variations of Mario that you can play as.
Yes, this is based off Sonic Generations.
Do you have a plot outline for your game that I could look at?
Sorta, but GamerInGeorgia is trying to change some details of the story, and I don't want to spoil the story of the game now, so sorry, but I can't show you the story.

Sounds like this fangame is coming along very well. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with next.
Replies in Bold.

(06-26-2019, 02:52 PM)Mariotroid Wrote: Hey this game was pretty fun. It's simple and definitely stays true to Mario.... I mean it IS a Mario fangame so what could I ask more for? I do think there should be more that makes this game unique but I like it so far. Maybe more original game mechanics? Anyway, good play and keep it up.
I don't want to have gimmicks for the sake of having gimmicks, which I think was a problem SM3DW was affected by.

Anyway, here are some updates.

Power Stars now open doors.
[Image: Level_Clearing_3.gif]

I've completed the SMW painting.
[Image: smwpaintingdone11.PNG]
Actual Size.
[Image: smwpaintingdone1.png]

[Image: smwpaintingdone22.PNG]
Actual Size.
[Image: smwpaintingdone2.png]

Added the Game Over screen.
[Image: Game_Over_2.gif]
[Image: Game_Over.gif]
(NOTE: The image posted of Modern Mario has since been changed.)

The Timer now flashes when you have 100 seconds left.
[Image: Timer_Flashing.gif]

Mario now has a new animation when he's running with a Starman/Super Star.
[Image: Star_Running.gif]

These are mostly the Mario Land related stuff.
[Image: Mario_Land_Secret.gif]
[Image: Mario_Land_Secret_2.gif]
[Image: Mario_Land_Part_2_Revamp_Compressed.gif]

Working on the Modern Fire Flower.
[Image: Fire_Flower_W.I.P_2.gif]

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - OssieTheOstrich - 08-11-2019

After a whole month has of me not posting updates, I've finally made some more progress. Sorry it took a long while for me to post this, but hey, it's here now. NOTE: Most of these are Donkey Kong related.

The transition to the DK3 part of the classic DK level has been created. By the way the sprite of Pauline wasn't made by me. Also Stanley the Bugman is here too.
[Image: Donkey_Kong_End_of_Level_Cutscene_3.gif]
NOTE 2: This .GIF was made sometime during July.

Thanks to @Langton for making the DK'94 styled portions of the stage.
[Image: Donkey_Kong_94_Intro.gif]
[Image: Donkey_Kong_94_Intro_2.gif]
[Image: Donkey_Kong_94_Intro_3.gif]

Hopefully me and Langton be able to finish the Modern version and then move on to the other new levels, then the second demo will be released..

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - OssieTheOstrich - 08-16-2019

This update doesn't include anything from the game itself, but I thought I'd post these nonetheless.

These are things I forgot to post in the last update.

[Image: Paulines_Items.PNG]
[Image: Paulines_Items_Small.png]
Pauline's Items from the classic DK level.
They are a mix of the Arcade and GameBoy versions.

Keys, the classic one being new while the modern one is has been slightly revamped.
[Image: Keys.PNG]
The classic one is from DK'94, and the modern one is from Mario vs. DK.

Here's a picture I send to Langton for level ideas.
[Image: Kong.png]
It's very joke game like but I wanted to send it to him as quickly as possible.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - OssieTheOstrich - 09-27-2019

Mario Generations finally is picking up more steam, again.
I really hope I don't suddenly do some other project, as this is getting a bit ridiculous.

[Image: Mario_Generations_Modern_DK_Level_Intro_WIP.PNG]
This (unfinished) layout was done by @Langton.

I decided to take a page from what Victorino did with making the wind, thus making the slope movement more accurate.
[Image: Improved_Slope_Movement2.gif]
The same thing has been done to Modern Mario as well.

I redid the title screen to be more like SM3DW.
[Image: New_Title_Screen.gif]
And I also changed the logo, again.

Here was the logo before I pixelized it.
[Image: Super_Mario_Generations_Logo3.PNG]
And here it is after I pixelized it.
[Image: Super_Mario_Generations_Finished.PNG]

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - Mors - 09-27-2019

The outline for the logo would benefit a lot from anti-aliasing.

Nice work otherwise

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo) - OssieTheOstrich - 09-29-2019

(09-27-2019, 05:23 PM)Mors Wrote: The outline for the logo would benefit a lot from anti-aliasing.

Nice work otherwise

Thanks for the advice Mors.

Anywho, here are updates.

I remember Despair saying that the fade when changing the Marios was bit abrupt, so I finally changed the fade code to that of SMF: Really Good Edition and my All Mario Test Engine.
[Image: Changing_the_Marios.gif]

I also realised that I should've given some of the levels names, like Vanilla Dome for instance.
[Image: Level_Names.PNG]
Levels that don't have a name will be referred to as, for example: "World 1-1".

Changed the dashing animation of Modern Mario to resemble that of 3D World's.
[Image: Mario_Dashes_at_the_Speed_of_Light2.gif]

More work on the Modern DK level.
[Image: Modern_DK_Level.gif]
Also I made Modern Mario pickup the door key. The sprites used for Mario are obviously placeholders.
After the DK level is complete I'll move onto the more Modern levels, like Tiny Huge Island for example.

I decided to redo the Sidestepper from Mario Bros.
[Image: Crabo.PNG]
mad lad
[Image: AngryCrabo.PNG]

Redid the Warning text to be in the more recent Mario font.
[Image: Warning_New3.PNG]

Since Langton is being busy with life and Dimensions 2, would anyone like to fill the role of designing levels in Mario Generations?
If you do, please DM me and then I'll see if you'll be able to join.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo, needing another level designer.) - OssieTheOstrich - 10-01-2019

I only have two things to show that aren't minor audio additons and grapical tweaks.

After a bit messing around Lunar Magic for reference, I've now made accurate SMW springs.
[Image: Better_Springs.gif]
The orange springs will be used in the Donkey Kong level..

...speaking of which...

Since the Modern DK level's development has been getting stalled, I remembered that the Classic DK boss hasn't been getting done, so I'm now trying to do that.
[Image: Donkey_Kong_End_of_Level_Cutscene_4.gif]

DDoomguy (or M4RI0 on the discord) has also kindly changed the graphic of one of the blocks.
[Image: block.png]
[Image: unknown.png]

I will mentions this: I found a wiki which showcases sound effects commonly used in cartoons, movies, and video games. And on that wiki I managed to find the original high quality audio used in Mario vs. Donkey Kong, so that was kind off nice. I also found sounds used in Mario Odyssey too.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo, needing another level designer.) - lean - 10-03-2019

i like ya work, keep it up Thumbs Up

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Working on the next demo, needing another level designer.) - OssieTheOstrich - 10-04-2019

So the Donkey Kong 3 boss is almost done now.
[Image: Donkey_Kong_End_of_Level_Cutscene_7.gif]

Shy Guy throwing has now been altered.
[Image: Shy_Guys.gif]
Recording this was rather annoying as the Shy Guys wouldn't cooperate with me.
Ignore the part where the thrown Shy Guy went in the opposite direction. That is a small bug.

Gave the Tweeter his own graphics.
[Image: Tweeter.PNG]
He also now has a custom walking animation.
It's based off this artwork:
[Image: 150px-Tweeter.jpg]

Speaking of Tweeters, they can now be picked up.
[Image: Tweeters.gif]
I was actually gonna post this yesterday, but I forgot all about until now.

I realised that the some of the jumping animations for Classic Mario (not the default one) felt too much like the walking animation, so I changed them.
[Image: SMB2_Jump_Improved.PNG]
The same was done for the falling animations.
The originals looked something like this (except the jumping animation actually had Mario looking up.)

At the suggestion of @Toony, I redid the animations for Stanley, Super Mario and Small Mario holding the spray can.

Making Modern Mario have a water meter.
I already had decided to use the one styled after Mario Galaxy.

I redid the classic Cheep Cheep sprites.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (On hiatus due to PC issues) - OssieTheOstrich - 01-15-2020

This might not be the update you guys wanted to hear, but I have to say this:

Super Mario Generations is now on Hiatus. Why? Well it's because my PC went kaput last month, but I did save all of my projects before it did, so my fangame projects and art aren't lost.

So, until it get's fixed or if I get a new one the game won't have any game dev updates.

But it'll still have some updates for the art, and here is one:

I updated Mario's base sprite thanks to the feedback from @Mors and @WizToad. I also added a full sprite for the breath meter.
[Image: mariobreathmeter.png]
(Note: at the moment I can't access the project file for Generations due to some plugin incompatibly so I have to use another project I made long ago for the art. Shrug)

I'll probably do the sprite for Classic Bowser soon, so be sure to see it.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (On hiatus due to PC issues) - VinnyVideo - 01-15-2020

It's a bummer to hear your computer is out of commission, but I do want to say that you are a shining example for MFGG (and the world as a whole)! Thank you, dear sir, for backing up your work! Over the years, MFGG has had all too many awesome projects die with their hard drives.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (On hiatus due to PC issues) - OssieTheOstrich - 01-28-2020

Thanks to @Mors for revamping the sprite for Modern Mario to look totally fabulous. It even caused me to revamp Classic Mario to look just as great.

Mors's version:

My modification + new Classic Mario:
[Image: classic_and_modern.png]

I've also made a few of Classic Mario's animations:
[Image: classic_mario_main.png]
I used AwesomeZack's Alternate Mario Poses sheet for reference when making the walking animation.
[Image: classic_mario_jump.png]
The jumping and falling animations were based off Mario All Stars's manual artwork, as well as SMW's sprites.

To show all of the frames in motion, I created this small test:
[Image: NewMario.gif]

By the way, remember I said I would make a Classic Bowser, well here he is:
[Image: classic_bowser.png]
At the moment he still needs some work.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (On hiatus due to PC issues) - OssieTheOstrich - 02-04-2020

Created classic Boos.
[Image: boo5.gif]
[Image: boo3probably2.png]
(oh mario also now has a skidding animation now)

Super Mario Advance, anyone?
[Image: mariosuperjump2.gif]
[Image: marioadvance.png]

New HUD test, thanks to @"Mario Silva" for giving me inspiration for it.
[Image: newhud.gif]
[Image: newhudscreencap.png]

Thanks to NicoBros for making the walking animation for Modern Mario.
[Image: mariowalkingmodern.gif]
(It's based off Mario vs. Donkey Kong GBA.)

Oh, and I got another PC to use now, so now more updates to the actual game might come out.

RE: Super Mario Generations. - OssieTheOstrich - 02-06-2020

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.