MFGG Forums
DEMO Super Mario Generations (Cancelled, Feedback Demo 2 Playable) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: DEMO Super Mario Generations (Cancelled, Feedback Demo 2 Playable) (/showthread.php?tid=792)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Super Mario Generations. - VinnyVideo - 02-06-2020

I love that arrangement of the Mario's Time Machine surfing music. Good stuff.

RE: Super Mario Generations. - strobert - 02-11-2020

awesome game. great job bro! Cool

RE: Super Mario Generations. - OssieTheOstrich - 02-16-2020

I have literally one thing to show, and it's this:
[Image: longjumpnew.gif]
The camera had to be set to it's original version for the sake of the .GIF

I also hope you guys won't miss the Double and Triple jumps in the game, as I disabled them due to them being very buggy.

RE: Super Mario Generations. - Evan.F - 02-16-2020

(02-16-2020, 09:43 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote: I have literally one thing to show, and it's this:
[Image: longjumpnew.gif]
The camera had to be set to it's original version for the sake of the .GIF

I also hope you guys won't miss the Double and Triple jumps in the game, as I disabled them due to them being very buggy.
Who cares for double and triple jumps

RE: Super Mario Generations. - TRICKSTERhat - 02-17-2020

I'm glad to see this game is still being worked on, really, it looks very nice!
I specially like the Mario Maker Camera here, it is nice to have.

RE: Super Mario Generations. - OssieTheOstrich - 02-18-2020

Some new jumping and falling animations for Modern Mario, inspired by 3D World. (or technically Mario Maker 2's 3D World theme)
[Image: newjumpandfall.gif]
[Image: newjumpandfall.png]

Cleaned some of the blocks as they looked a bit odd and ugly.
[Image: newblocks.gif]
Now I'm wondering if I should either redo the enemies's sprites clean them up here and there, or keep them as-is.

Oh and the levels themselves have kinda stalled due to the Donkey Kong level just not being done. The Classic one is almost done but the Modern one is stuck due to some.. odd level designs (no offence @Langton and @SonicKade2048, those probably were caused by me..) and also I have no clue what to do for the boss, so I'm asking for some help to make a better Modern Donkey Kong level, and maybe the boss itself. If you are interested, please send me a PM/DM.

RE: Super Mario Generations. - OssieTheOstrich - 02-21-2020

RE: Super Mario Generations. - Mariotroid - 02-23-2020

I like the variety in moves, very well done. It seems like Mario will be fun to control. I'm excited to play this when released.

RE: Super Mario Generations. - OssieTheOstrich - 02-26-2020

Work in progress sprites of the revamped Small Mario. (Thanks to @Yoshin for suggesting that he use the SML2 walk cycle.)
[Image: smalmarionew.gif]
(oh and this has been ported to the actual game, btw)

Added a Mario Maker styled Intermission as well as the Mario's now jumping into paintings, with a custom animation too.
[Image: level_intermissions_and_painting_thing_fixed.gif]
[Image: level_intermissions_and_painting_thing_2.gif]

Here are some of those sprites zoomed in:
[Image: smolmario.png]
[Image: mario.png]

RE: Super Mario Generations. - OssieTheOstrich - 02-29-2020

Since I don't want to force myself to work on the more ambitious parts of Mario Generations, I'm releasing another feedback demo:
Feedback Demo 2 Windows Version
Feedback Demo 2 Mac OS X Version

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - VinnyVideo - 02-29-2020

I checked it out. Three nitpicks:
  • The increase in momentum when you're invincible is too extreme; Mario becomes very difficult to control while invincible
  • If you fall into a pit while invincible, the Starman music keeps playing for a while
  • When I kicked a Koopa shell and it hit a Goomba, it usually bounced back toward Mario instead of defeating the Goomba

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - Evan.F - 03-01-2020

(02-29-2020, 08:03 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: I checked it out. Three nitpicks:

• The increase in momentum when you're invincible is too extreme; Mario becomes very difficult to control while invincible
  • If you fall into a pit while invincible, the Starman music keeps playing for a while
  • When I kicked a Koopa shell and it hit a Goomba, it usually bounced back toward Mario instead of defeating the Goomba

I at one point dived onto a pipe, and Mario got stuck in the air. Also the controls are hard to understand and I had problems with changing key controls.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - Roo - 03-01-2020

It feels like a decent game for the most part, but it does have a lot of "obvious" bugs and problems.
  • The block hitboxes feel like they should be larger. It's weird to be able to hit a block like this without actually activating it.
[Image: hZm2N61.png]
  • The fireballs Mario fires should spawn lower, both because of the throwing animation and because they currently hit almost nothing that's lower than you.
  • This is more of a personal opinion, but the momentum feels way too severe. It's basically impossible to turn around in the air if you're going at a running speed.
  • You can pause the game on the title screen, which isn't a huge problem, but still.
And then there's... the big one. After I complete the first level twice (why do I need to complete it twice, anyway?), Mario jumps out of the painting and sort of... slides under the ground.

(spoilered for size)

I have no idea what causes it, but I tried twice and it happened both times.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - OssieTheOstrich - 03-02-2020

@VinnyVideo @Roo I've fixed all of the problems that you guys have found, so hopefully it'll be better to play now. I also fixed other few bugs and oddities that I found myself.

Windows Version 2.5
Mac OS X Version 2.5

@Evan.F I was unable to replicate your issue however. If you could possibly send me some video proof and some instructions on how you found it, I'd probably would be able to fix that.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - Evan.F - 03-02-2020

The dive breaks the game completely.
[Image: file.php?id=698]
Softlock where Mario gets stuck falling.

[Image: file.php?id=699]
Constantly when diving in a pipe, Mario ascends.

[Image: file.php?id=700]
Mario hit a wall during a dive and bounced into the pit, Mario doesn't die.
[Image: file.php?id=702]
Two Marios (caused by using the shift key repeatedly while moving : you can also change during the fade in.

[Image: file.php?id=701]
The modern Marios can preform a softlock similar to the one I mentioned previously. This time I can assume there is problem with the stairs and toad collision.

I also encountered other glitches, such as Mario ascending after touching the flagpole (caused by diving),the ground pound thing happening when walking towards a block. Mario also tends to clip through the stares and talking to toad during the double Mario glitch crashes the game.

Also what with being able to pause on the title screen.

More

[Image: file.php?id=703]

I was messing around in the castle.
[Image: file.php?id=704]
Mario be grooving during the toad glitch

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - OssieTheOstrich - 03-03-2020

(03-02-2020, 12:55 PM)Evan.F Wrote: The dive breaks the game completely.
[Image: file.php?id=698]
Softlock where Mario gets stuck falling.

[Image: file.php?id=699]
Constantly when diving in a pipe, Mario ascends.

Mario hit a wall during a dive and bounced into the pit, Mario doesn't die.
[Image: file.php?id=702]
Two Marios (caused by using the shift key repeatedly while moving : you can also change during the fade in.

The modern Marios can preform a softlock similar to the one I mentioned previously. This time I can assume there is problem with the stairs and toad collision.

I also encountered other glitches, such as Mario ascending after touching the flagpole (caused by diving),the ground pound thing happening when walking towards a block. Mario also tends to clip through the stares and talking to toad during the double Mario glitch crashes the game.

Also what with being able to pause on the title screen.

More

[Image: file.php?id=703]

I was messing around in the castle.
[Image: file.php?id=704]
Mario be grooving during the toad glitch

Woah, woah, woah! Uh I think I'll be able to fix these in a while, but I think you should play the later demo, as it fixes a few other bugs, maybe even indirectly fixing one of the bugs you've posted. (IIRC I think it's the ground pound one.)

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - VinnyVideo - 03-05-2020

Thanks for fixing these issues from the previous demo. Four new issues I found:
  • Sliding Koopa shells rebound off Koopas instead of defeating them.
  • Ten-coin blocks produce endless coins if a Koopa/Buzzy shell hits them from the side. (That could be useful in real life.)
  • In Donut Plains Classic, there's a one-block high passage. If Mario slides under it, you can get stuck.
  • The save button doesn't work yet.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - Evan.F - 03-05-2020

(03-05-2020, 10:39 AM)VinnyVideo Wrote: Thanks for fixing these issues from the previous demo. Four new issues I found:

• Sliding Koopa shells rebound off Koopas instead of defeating them.
  • Ten-coin blocks produce endless coins if a Koopa/Buzzy shell hits them from the side. (That could be useful in real life.)
  • In Donut Plains Classic, there's a one-block high passage. If Mario slides under it, you can get stuck.
  • The save button doesn't work yet.
HOW DID YOU GET PAST 1-1

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - VinnyVideo - 03-05-2020

@Evan.F I got a star when I finished the first level twice. Then I'm able to unlock the 1-star door, which leads to Donut Plains Classic.

RE: Super Mario Generations. (Feedback Demo 2 Released!) - Evan.F - 03-06-2020

(03-05-2020, 04:40 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: @Evan.F I got a star when I finished the first level twice. Then I'm able to unlock the 1-star door, which leads to Donut Plains Classic.

I managed to do it before getting your message, I'm still using the previous demo as I enjoy breaking it apart.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.