MFGG Forums
Top Fives - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Top Fives (/showthread.php?tid=802)

Top Fives - Pedigree - 04-29-2018

So, I was looking for some feedback regarding Top Five badges. Do you think it's fair to reward Top Five badges in cases where it's only a Top Five by default because that's exactly how many people entered or do you think we should only reward Top Five badges from now on when the Top Five is voted in?

Another option would be to scrap the Top Five and just turn the green badges into badges for all other entrants, skipping Top Five entirely and just rewarding people for participating but I don't know...

What do you all think?

RE: Top Fives - Kritter - 04-29-2018

I guess going forward it could just be first, second and third place. I don't think it'd be fair to change it retroactively though.

RE: Top Fives - Pedigree - 04-29-2018

Nah, the changes (if any are made) wouldn't be retroactive. Third place sounds like a good option, btw.

RE: Top Fives - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-29-2018

I think it’d make more sense to only give out the badges if there are more than five people, but I’d just go with first, second and third place badges.

RE: Top Fives - VinnyVideo - 04-29-2018

Devil's Advocate Post*: Always giving out top five badges encourages participation in competitions by ensuring that more people get a reward for participating. If a competition gets only five entries, and you feel like some of them aren't amazing-quality, you can always submit an entry yourself and boost the quality of the pool of entries.

* This argument is presented for purpose of debate, and I'm not sure whether I 100% agree with it for every possible situation.

RE: Top Fives - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-29-2018

I have mixed feelings about that. Normally I'm against rewarding all participants simply for participating but in the case of a forum comp I don't have a huge problem with it and it could boost participation as you suggested. However, that could also lessen the impact of receiving a winning badge and could leave people less motivated to make good entries. It could also spawn a lot of effortless entries from people who don't care about the competition and just want the badge.

RE: Top Fives - Spritanium - 05-06-2018

There should be 1st place, 2nd place, and Participation badges

3rd place only becomes necessary when you have around 15+ entries, in which case placing in third could actually be seen as impressive

Top 5 voting hasn't made sense for almost the past decade, if there aren't a ton of people entering then there's no need to bother mentioning the top 5. Just make a lamer version of each competition badge, award it to anyone who submits a valid entry, and let people keep their old Top 5 badges as a legacy feature

RE: Top Fives - Syaxamaphone - 05-06-2018

(05-06-2018, 03:56 PM)Spritanium Wrote: There should be 1st place, 2nd place, and Participation badges

3rd place only becomes necessary when you have around 15+ entries, in which case placing in third could actually be seen as impressive

Top 5 voting hasn't made sense for almost the past decade, if there aren't a ton of people entering then there's no need to bother mentioning the top 5. Just make a lamer version of each competition badge, award it to anyone who submits a valid entry, and let people keep their old Top 5 badges as a legacy feature

Yeah, top 5 has been really silly. Especially for comps where we've had 6 entries and it becomes a game of "which one entry do you like the least"

I think top 5 voting could still be a thing if there's at least 10 entries since the pool of voters is so small right now, but imo give everyone the participation badge and just have badges for 1st and 2nd.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.