MFGG Forums
Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: The Dungeon (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: The Vault (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Competitions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania (/showthread.php?tid=809)

Pages: 1 2

Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - bigpotato - 04-30-2018

[Image: PAL.png]
Palette + Examples by Retrosaur.

Palettes are an integral part of pixel history. The earliest computer developers, with their primitive bitpower, made the sensible decision to save memory by restricting an artist's color options. This turned out quite well for them, and is... pretty much the reason we have pixel art at all. Since we pixel artists love living in the past paying tribute to bygone eras, perhaps we'd best try our hands at this, too.

So here's the big question: If you were a console developer back in the day, what sort of palette would you give your pixel artists to work with? You've got four bits per pixel, how y'gonna fill them? Then show us some work! This is, after all, and in conformity to the newly updated naming conventions, a pixel art comp. So, in proper competition form:
  • Create a versatile palette of sixteen or fewer colors, as would be used by a retro console. The palette itself should be clearly visible in your entry, preferably in large blocks of color.
  • Include examples of various graphics made using your palette. This can be sprites, tiles, mockups, whatever. Make it diverse! Your palette may be able to make really good explosions, but can it do a halfway decent bush? No restriction on amount, but be reasonable.
  • Need inspiration? Take a peek at some of the palettes on https://lospec.com/palette-list. Just don't steal 'em!
PROTIP: You can improve the accessability of your palette (and simultaneously impress your friends) by making a ramp map, like so: 
I hope (though I don't expect) to see fabulous entries from every single user of this site! Best of luck to you all, regardless of whether you compete or not!

Meaningless bonus points will be awarded if your palette is somehow Mario-themed. Voting will begin on May 14th, so be sure to be ready by then!

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - SonicZetrex - 05-01-2018

I'm up for this challenge! Besides, I already got a head start!

And also, when is the deadline?

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - bigpotato - 05-01-2018

Ah, you're right! I knew I was missing something. Editing now.

Also, gonna mention that the standard "don't-use-it-if-you-made-it-before-the-comp" rule still applies to palettes.

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - SonicZetrex - 05-04-2018

Whew, finally got my palette done! I'm naming this palette as ...

The "Nature's Song".

[Image: 5AdgyWx.png]

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - GamerInGeorgia - 05-06-2018

I'm nearing completion on my entry. Hopefully I'll post it in the next few days.
@SonicZetrex - Looks very nice!

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - GamerInGeorgia - 05-11-2018

Finally done! This palette is called (drum-roll please!): One Palette Fits All
My idea for this palette was formulated when bigpotato wrote, "[Y]our palette may be able to make really good explosions, but can it do a halfway decent bush?" After reading that, I thought to make a palette that could do basically anything. The colors used are on the top and in an attemted ramp map in the bottom right corner.
I don't know about anyone else, but I fell that I went a little too overboard with my examples (especially with the first person shooter example). Whoops!  I also don't think I got the ramp map right, but whatever.

(Please note that the names chosen for the RPG characters were completely random and any occurrence of someone on the forums, or viewing this post, looking exactly the same as one of them and having the same name is entirely coincidental. If you do happen to look exactly like any of the characters or have the same name, then that's quite cool.)

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - Q-Nova - 05-13-2018

This is an interesting theme. The entries look pretty nice so far, by the way! Anyway, here's my entry for the competition:

[Image: pac_palette_mania.PNG]
2x version:
It's a bunch of stuff from Super Mario Sunshine with a palette inspired by the EGA palette (though, I replaced dark cyan with orange). Since people appear to be giving their palettes names, I suppose I'll call mine QGA (Quintessential Graphics Adapter).

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - bigpotato - 05-15-2018

It's that time of year again, friends! You've got three days to vote for your favorite of our three fabulous entries!

We've got....

SonicZetrex's harmonious Nature's Song,
GamerInGeorgia's versatile One Palette Fits All,
...and Q-Nova's classic homage, the Quintessential Graphics Adapter!

So there you have it. Again, you've got until the 18th to submit your palette ballot! (I've been holding onto that one since we started this thing.) Have at it!

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - littlelum - 05-15-2018

A tough decision, but I'm voting for SonicZetrex

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - SonicZetrex - 05-16-2018

The colors are somewhat interesting to choose. So, the one I might vote for is...

Q-Nova, on the sprite of "Sunshine" and "Color", though I have to admit, it's a pretty tough choice.

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - Pedigree - 05-16-2018

SonicZetrex

Good entries though, y'all!

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - OssieTheOstrich - 05-16-2018

SonicZetrex has my vote.

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - VinnyVideo - 05-16-2018

SonicZetrex gets my vote.

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-16-2018

SonicZetrex

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - Snessy the duck - 05-16-2018

SonicZetrex

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - Mariotroid - 05-16-2018

Gamer in Georgia

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - Hyper - 05-16-2018

Q-Nova

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - Yakibomb - 05-17-2018

SonicZetrex

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - СМБХфан - 05-18-2018

Q-Nova

RE: Pixel Art Comp 2018 Number IV: Palette Mania - Shadow Administrator Drei - 05-18-2018

dang, i wanted to participate in this one but kept putting it off til it was over

soniczetrex

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.