MFGG Forums
Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? (/showthread.php?tid=810)

Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - GStache - 04-30-2018

I've found myself not actually playing games for a good chunk of the year because most of the "new" stuff that's came out (at least that I like), has really only been popping up every month or two, which is kinda disappointing honestly. It might be cuz I don't own a PS4 or XBone, though I usually expect Nintendo to have plenty of new stuff a year. I may as well list them:
     - Celeste
     - Kirby Star Allies
     - Kirby: Battle Royale
     - The Adventure Pals
     - .................oh wait that's it

My point is that obviously developers aren't gonna get their games out a lot sooner just because people like me are begging for new stuff, but it would be nice to just a little bump in the game production factory, even if just a smidge, and not focus all their precious time on ports. Also, it feels like everything gets delayed nowadays but that's just me. Again, I hope I don't offend anyone with these comments.

Thoughts?  Thinking

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Mario - 04-30-2018

What did the previous few years look like for you? Seems to be some good games coming out this year imo, but even if Celeste was the only game this year I played I'd be entirely content with that

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Zero Kirby - 04-30-2018

It is because you don't have a PS4 or an XBone.

And sure, most of what has come out on the Switch so far are ports, like Bayonetta, or Pac-Man Championship Edition 2, but that doesn't change the fact that we also got plenty of new content for games like Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which both came out towards the end of last year (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in particular ate up a significant amount of time - I only recently completed the main story a couple weeks ago). Plus new content for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 which like, doubled the amount of content in the game which was already pretty massive so

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze's Switch port comes out in a few days, and it's the best 2D platformer ever, so that'll be awesome.

On PS4 there's been Dragonball FighterZ which is a really fun fightin' game, Monster Hunter World which I've heard good things about, God of War which I've also heard good things about, and a rerelease of Burnout Paradise which brings the whole entire game up to 60FPS full HD and it is gorgeous

In short, I dunno what you're talkin' about. You don't have to like everything that's come out this year but that doesn't change the fact that a lot has.

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - GStache - 04-30-2018

(04-30-2018, 10:13 PM)Zero Kirby Wrote: It is because you don't have a PS4 or an XBone.

And sure, most of what has come out on the Switch so far are ports, like Bayonetta, or Pac-Man Championship Edition 2, but that doesn't change the fact that we also got plenty of new content for games like Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which both came out towards the end of last year (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in particular ate up a significant amount of time - I only recently completed the main story a couple weeks ago). Plus new content for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 which like, doubled the amount of content in the game which was already pretty massive so

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze's Switch port comes out in a few days, and it's the best 2D platformer ever, so that'll be awesome.

On PS4 there's been Dragonball FighterZ which is a really fun fightin' game, Monster Hunter World which I've heard good things about, God of War which I've also heard good things about, and a rerelease of Burnout Paradise which brings the whole entire game up to 60FPS full HD and it is gorgeous

In short, I dunno what you're talkin' about. You don't have to like everything that's come out this year but that doesn't change the fact that a lot has.

Idk how you're so hooked on the free DLC, since the new content that we DID get for those few games has been relatively small (even including Star Allies), but yes I can see why so many people are having fun on PS4 and XBone. I must state again that Nintendo has really only had one main release this year so far that is not a port. All I'm saying is for them to step it up a little. I mean, even the news on games has been tiny, since the Rabbids DLC doesn't even have a release date, we know barely anything about Mario Tennis' story mode, and we still have no new info on the Nintendo online service. 

I could go on and on, but I guess we'll have to wait for E3 then.

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-30-2018

From what I've seen there are plenty of good switch games out now and there seem to be some good games planned for the future. It could just be that they aren't up your alley?
I very rarely play video games when I'm at school so I haven't played as much as I used to these past two years, so perhaps I'm not the best judge since one game can last me almost a year. I'm also not huge on gaming by myself, so most of the gaming I do is over the summer anyway when I am with friends and family. That means most of the gaming I do is over 1 1/2 months, so I don't need ton of variety lol.

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Zero Kirby - 05-01-2018

(04-30-2018, 10:22 PM)GStache Wrote: Idk how you're so hooked on the free DLC, since the new content that we DID get for those few games has been relatively small (even including Star Allies), but yes I can see why so many people are having fun on PS4 and XBone. I must state again that Nintendo has really only had one main release this year so far that is not a port. All I'm saying is for them to step it up a little. I mean, even the news on games has been tiny, since the Rabbids DLC doesn't even have a release date, we know barely anything about Mario Tennis' story mode, and we still have no new info on the Nintendo online service. 

I could go on and on, but I guess we'll have to wait for E3 then.

Like I said, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 basically had a whole new story mode added along with a brand new "official character" customizer and tag-team attacks? The Switch version is probably also the definitive version of the game 'cause it comes with the Xenoverse 1 campaign. Sure it's not "Nintendo exclusive" but hot damn, is it good.

Official Nintendo games have usually had gaps between releases. In stark contrast to the Wii U, however, the Switch has actually gotten third-party support in a big way, so we aren't getting a drought of games. You're just getting a drought of games that don't interest you, which is fine, but it seems kinda silly to complain when there's probably plenty of Switch content for you to try out that you haven't tried before.

All the ports are because nobody bought a Wii U. If you didn't buy one either, you've got some fantastic stuff that's worth tryin' out.

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Pedigree - 05-01-2018

I disagree wholeheartedly. I feel like you have to have limited interests to feel like there's a game drought right now.

If you're looking for hard hitting games, however, they're not gonna come out this close to E3.

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - GStache - 05-01-2018

Wow, I didn't think I was gonna be the only one feeling this way.

Well anyways, games like Tropical Freeze are being priced at $60 for no reason, so it's hard for me to buy Nintendo's own products, so I definitely wouldn't say it's taste,
unless of course you're talking about PS4 and XBone.

Plus, only having a SINGLE game that people actually care about come out (Mario Tennis Aces) after 3 months is a little frustrating. Like I said, more news would be nice at the least.

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - VinnyVideo - 05-01-2018

I don't have any of the modern consoles, so it's a little hard for me to say.

If you're mostly looking at Nintendo consoles and you're comparing 2018 to last year, it's hard to top a year that brought us both Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Pedigree - 05-01-2018

Kirby just came out in March

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Kritter - 05-01-2018

I'm just waiting patiently for E3 so I know what's on my radar. Personally Mario Tennis and Donkey Kong will be enough to get me by.

Mario Tennis Aces seems pretty hype compared to the last Mario Tennis game, so there's that too.

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Zero Kirby - 05-01-2018

(05-01-2018, 04:02 PM)GStache Wrote: Plus, only having a SINGLE game that people actually care about come out (Mario Tennis Aces) after 3 months is a little frustrating.

I mean, I definitely interested in more than just Mario Tennis Aces (and am actually not interested in Mario Tennis Aces at all!) so to say that people only care about Mario Tennis Aces is kinda

Silly

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - GStache - 05-01-2018

I would honestly say most people are excited for Aces, since it looks like a huge improvement over the mess that was Ultra Smash.

RE: Anyone else think there's been a drought in gaming so far this year? - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-02-2018

I think companies wanna release games later so that there's more time to develop them

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.