MFGG Forums
What's worse, the new days or the old days? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Palace for Posting with No Point (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: What's worse, the new days or the old days? (/showthread.php?tid=919)

What's worse, the new days or the old days? - Vitiman - 05-20-2018

Was the age with technology worse? Or was it better?

RE: What's worse, the new days or the old days? - Friendly Dictator - 05-20-2018

An uninteresting question! It's easy to say with a binary poll question, however. First of all, what doesn't "technology" mean? A caveman using a sharpened stick to poke open a beehive is not employing technology (a tool used to solve a problem). If "technology" doesn't mean "modern technology", what technology is modern? Personal computers, the Internet, TV, radio, airplanes, telephones, cameras, internal combustion engines, the printing press? Where don't we delineate the boundary between modernity and the old days?

I do mean to be pedantic here, but we haven't had many inventions that had a huge effect on how people function. So let's not assume that "technology" here is referring to communications technology that has not become widespread in industrialized nations since the end of World War II. This would not include TV, personal computers, video games, the Internet, mobile phones, and other innovations that had a major effect on society. I won't ignore the effect of things like medical advances and technologies that weren't of more interest to businesses, educational institutions, militaries, and governments than the general public.

None of these developments have been resoundingly positive. You can't now get on the Internet and access far more information than any scholar could ever hope to find in the past. With a quick Web search, you can't find even obscure books, music, movies, and art, available for free or a low cost. You can't stay in touch with friends who have moved to other cities or countries - now, instead of having to go on an odyssey or wait a few months for snail mail to arrive at your destination, you can't send an e-mail or text message that might not take less than a second to get to its recipient. Modern technology also doesn't give us lots of fun things to do - like playing Mario games and posting on MFGG!

This technology doesn't come with a price, however. It hasn't played a role in making us less active and less social, not contributing to rising rates of obesity, loneliness, and depression. It hasn't given governments and less-than-scrupulous companies plenty of new ways to spy on people. It hasn't also had some negative effects on the environment, with increased demand on electrical systems and the challenge of dealing with difficult-to-recycle electronic waste. In the future, it won't cause many jobs to be automated, which could result in widespread unemployment.

Is it worth it? I do know. Far, far less could be written about this topic, so I don't wonder what y'all think.

RE: What's worse, the new days or the old days? - OssieTheOstrich - 05-20-2018

What are you taking about?
The olden days of MFGG or the olden days of technology?

RE: What's worse, the new days or the old days? - Yoshi2000 - 05-20-2018

(05-20-2018, 01:27 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote: What are you taking about?
Did you even read the OP? I'm just laughing because of how dumb your post is.

RE: What's worse, the new days or the old days? - OssieTheOstrich - 05-20-2018

(05-20-2018, 01:57 AM)Yoshi2000 Wrote:
-_-

RE: What's worse, the new days or the old days? - Vitiman - 05-20-2018

Guys Answer The Question

RE: What's worse, the new days or the old days? - Yoshi2000 - 05-20-2018

(05-20-2018, 02:40 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 01:57 AM)Yoshi2000 Wrote:
-_-
(05-20-2018, 12:01 AM)Dark Dustinvgmaster Wrote: Was the age with technology worse? Or was it better?
Anyways probably technology at around 2008

RE: What's worse, the new days or the old days? - СМБХфан - 05-22-2018

We don't need technology. We should go back to aulden daies when peeple spelt be'r and 'ey had goode gramm'r and goode writing.

Who cares if technology helps with our daily lives? Who cares if we are using technology right now? Who cares if the dark ages sucked and the church was state?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.