MFGG Forums
Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches [Final Voting] - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: The Dungeon (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: The Vault (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Competitions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches [Final Voting] (/showthread.php?tid=920)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches [Final Voting] - chaoxys - 05-20-2018

Welcome to an all new type of competition! Lets cut straight to the chase, the point of a design comp isn't to make the prettiest drawing or sprites, but to instead take the theme, come up with a concept based on it, and present it to the voters. How do you present it? Well, thats the beauty of it, you can do it however you'd like! Draw, sprite, text, playable demonstration, heck, you can even cosplay and record yourself if it helps, it's up to you! Sounds a bit complicated? Don't worry, I'll explain things more as we go. Oh, and before you ask, yup, there will be an all new badges.

:THEME:
[Image: gamMZwE.png]

The theme for this competition is to think up a character not currently in the SSB series as a playable character, and make a moveset for them. Don't worry, you only have to come up with the 4 specials (Neutral, Side, Up, Down), and a Final Smash, thats it. If you want to come up with more things, like gimmicks for that character, or additional moves, go ahead, it's just icing on the cake!

:RULES:
  • The character has to have originated from a video game
  • If you are submitting a written entry, post a picture of the character you are using so you post isn't overlooked
  • You make use ideas and concepts you've had in the past (unlike other comps where stuff made prior is against the rules), as long as the ideas are your own (When I say your own, I mean, don't copy a moveset idea from Deviantart 1:1. Some of the moves might be the same or similar, but don't blatantly steal)
  • If you want to use sprites to show your ideas, you can use ripped sprites and what not since the goal is to sell your idea to the voter, not your spriting abilities
:VOTING:
So how does voting work? Well, voters aren't voting on what looks pretty or anything like that, voting is instead based on which ideas sound the most appealing. In the case of this comp, voters should consider things like, "does this character sound fun to play as?", or "Does this moveset fit the character?" Due to how the voting works, you can enter in simple sketches or even text. Remember, you aren't trying to wow the voters with raw artistic talent, you are trying to sell them on your ideas.

: DEADLINE :
Since this is a new type of competition, I'm not sure what the time range should be, short as 2 weeks, or as long as a month, so lets aim in the middle! This comp ends June 10th, right on the doorsteps of E3! Lets see if anyones entry ends up being a reality.

As a final note, I realize this is a new type of thing, so if you have any questions, please ask.

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - VinnyVideo - 05-20-2018

This is a cool idea. This could be fun!

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-20-2018

I'm participating, so can you post this comp on the competitions thread ASAP please?

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - Pedigree - 05-20-2018

(05-20-2018, 03:34 PM)gengarmaster Wrote: I'm participating, so can you post this comp on the competitions thread ASAP please?

What do you mean?

Oh i'm making a character

No, what do you mean "post this in the competitions thread"

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - Mario - 05-20-2018

Really cool idea for a competition, I can see a lot of submissions for this kind of thing. Not sure if I'm up to the task of thinking up something for this theme but I'll keep an eye out.

This IS a competition and should go in the competitions thread...

(05-20-2018, 05:54 PM)gengarmaster Wrote: This IS a competition and should go in the competitions thread...

If you're talking about the Competitions subforum, competitions only go there after they are over.

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - DustinVG - 05-20-2018

If I enter, you know what I gotta do.

How do we submit an image?

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - chaoxys - 05-20-2018

(05-20-2018, 08:12 PM)gengarmaster Wrote: How do we submit an image?

Upload it to an image hosting site like imgur. Once the image is on the site, right click it and click "Copy Image Location". Next, make a post, and post the image location between [img] and [/img]

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - Mariotroid - 05-20-2018

Have an idea. Time to execute.

There's no Copy Image Location

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - DialUpper - 05-20-2018

This seems pretty cool, so I decided to participate.
My entry will be MYCAR from the Rally-X series. I chose that because I thought it would be kinda funny to see a car fighting against Mario, Kirby, Link, Sonic and other characters.
Costumes
[Image: Yk3WdwK.png]
MYCAR has a set of alternate costumes in addition to a Kirby Copy Ability form, based on, in order:
First costume: Sprite of MYCAR in the original Rally-X.
Second costume: Sprite of REDCAR in the original Rally-X.
Third costume: Custom car, probably would be neutral, uses Rally-X design.
Fourth costume: Custom car, probably would be a second playable car, uses Rally-X design.
Fifth costume: Sprite of MYCAR in New Rally-X.
Sixth costume: Sprite of REDCAR in New Rally-X.
Seventh costume: Custom car, probably would be a second playable car, uses New Rally-X design.
Eighth costume: Custom car, probably would be neutral, uses New Rally-X design.
Kirby: Based on coverart of both Rally-X games, but primarily New Rally-X.
Here is MYCAR's moveset:
[Image: KCPrTXH.png]
Neutral Special: Smokescreen
This move unleashes tufts of smoke when used. These tufts deal 1% damage each.
Origin: In the Rally-X games, you press the action button to release a smokescreen.
[Image: dCU86NA.png]
Side Special: Turbo Boost
This move will boost MYCAR further ahead of other players. The boost flames cause 4% damage.
Origin: In New Rally-X Arrangement on the PSP, MYCAR can use a turbo boost to get away from enemies fast.
[Image: nEKmW1n.png]
Down Special: Rock Throw
This move makes MYCAR throw a rock on the ground, dealing 15% damage to those hit by it.
Origin: Rocks are a common obstacle in Rally-X games, with MYCAR and REDCAR having to avoid these.
[Image: 9v08KJr.png]
Up Special: Smoke Boost
This move will make MYCAR boost up high while releasing bigger tufts of smoke. These bigger tufts don't deal knockback, but when an opponent walks into one, they'll be damaged by 2% for every second spent in these tufts.
Origin: A semi-custom move, this combines the Smokescreen and the Turbo Boost.
[Image: 5Wi9lKD.png]
Final Smash: Rally-X Rumble
Will make MYCAR able to freely move around the stage. Can release classic smokescreens that keep an opponent in place and damages them by 5% for ever second spent in the tufts of smoke until 10 seconds have passed. After this, that tuft of smoke disappears. Opponents also have to be wary of the whopping 50% collision damage MYCAR will deal in this form.
Origin: This is how MYCAR originally controlled in it's origin game.
EDIT: A big update, now includes alternate costumes and a Kirby form.

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - chaoxys - 05-21-2018

[Image: 9XwWyBW.png]

[Image: G06z40R.png]
[Image: IfwmAYr.png]

EDIT- Took me an hour to get this sheet set up so the site wouldn't shrink the image.

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - Yoshin - 05-21-2018

(I'm sorry my spoiler tag broke)
[Image: karate_joe_bounce_gif_by_jimworld70-da5v7xf.gif]
Karate Joe
Rhythm Heaven is a popular enough Nintendo Franchise to warrant a fighter. Aside from the two moves he does in Karate Man, I figure he should be like Game and Watch and be full of Rhythm Heaven minigame references.whats a chorus kid

Neutral Special: Combo
[Image: latest?cb=20171024112704]
He simply does the combo move from Fever on the opponent

Side Special: Punch Kick
[Image: latest?cb=20160511113622]
Punch the opponent forwards, then kicks a bomb at them.

Down Special: LumBEARjack
[Image: giphy.gif]
He just swings down with an axe, pretty straight forwards

Up Special: See Saw
[Image: tumblr_neea9xrLIi1qeie3mo1_500.gif]
Spawn in a see-saw and gets launched up(similar to Pac Man and Sonic's up special)

Final Smash: Karate Man
Similar to Shulk's, Cpt. Falcon's and others final smashes. Karate Joe punches the opponent and they get teleported straight into the Karate Man minigame from Rhythm Heaven. 

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - Cruise Elroy - 05-23-2018

These sketches were all done at one in the morning; if the designs look off or the quality bounces between the drawings, that's why (I even forgot what exactly he looked like lmao)

I truthfully don't expect Wart to make it into the fighting roster at all, but since everyone else has tons of ideas for other Mario characters like Toad or Waluigi, I thought I'd try to give a moveset to a more obscure character.

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - chaoxys - 05-23-2018

First off, that looks rad, and sounds like a really fun moveset.

Second, whoops, I forgot to design Mimikyu Kirby. Honestly, I meant to make that a part of the rules (being that you have to design a Kirby form), but since it's my fault, and we already have entries, I'll just have to remember it for next time if we redo this theme in the future.

RE: Design Comp #1: A Challenger Approaches - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-24-2018

[Image: 400?cb=20151116234008] 
Up: Lick 
Down: Boo smash 
Side: Crown throw 
Neutral: slap 
Final smash painting seal

King boo materializes in!

Painting seal: King boo traps his foe in a painting then whacks them with a hammer, then he throws 10 bombs inside. This is an OHKO attack.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.