MFGG Forums
Web Development Community? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Web Development Community? (/showthread.php?tid=932)

Web Development Community? - Mario - 05-23-2018

Would anyone be interested in forming a small community for web development? There's a handful of people out there in the broader MFGG Universe I know out there that are pretty skilled in the field, @Spritanium and @HylianDev I can think off the top of my head but I'm sure there are others! MFGG itself is mainly devoted to game development (as it should be!) but I wonder if there's enough interest out there to start something for web development in general?

It always seems like improving fan game-related sites is a near-impossible task and I think part of the issue is there really isn't too much within the community that's there to grow the skills necessary for doing that. There's some basic stuff every year with NCFC booths and maybe some people make simple websites for their games but there's not too much talking about what goes into that stuff out in the open.

Obviously there are plenty of communities and resources for web development out there in the broader internet but I think it'd be pretty fun to have something specifically built around the fan game community.

Does this sound interesting or am I being pretty boring? LOL I figure we could start with a Discord chat and if there's interest from there a forum or a reddit or something along those lines. I don't anticipate this to be a Big thing but it'd be cool if this ultimately improved the people interested's skills and maybe lead to some better websites in the wider fan-game community.

UPDATE 2018-05-27

The Discord server has been created and is availble here: https://discord.gg/6EUcYYB

I'll update with any additional information if there is any

RE: Web Development Community? - VinnyVideo - 05-23-2018

This could be useful, although it might be a very niche thing. I don't Reddit, but I would be interested in joining a forum or Discord.

As you mentioned, a lot of fan communities have difficulty finding someone with the Web development skills to update old code and aging designs, especially since they're run by hobbyists who probably don't have the money to hire a pro.

Most of what I know about Web development is stuff I picked up from doing work on JaxBoards or MFGG. I have a pretty good understanding of the basics, but I'm not an expert. I'm comfortable doing basic maintenance (modifying a PHP script, or tweaking the forum layout), but I'd need some help if I had to build anything from the ground up. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Web programming - especially on the PHP side of things.

RE: Web Development Community? - Mario - 05-23-2018

Thanks for the reply, Vinny.

I got my start because I've always found forums interesting, so you're not off to a bad start at all. I figure even just having a place to talk about things would hopefully encourage everyone to improve their skills and take them to the next level. I'm pretty good at learning things on my own but I always find it easier to get past a roadblock if I'm able to talk it out with people. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way LOL.

I agree it's a niche; I don't think there's a huge need for web development skills in the fangame community but there's enough of a need where I feel like we really should try to cultivate it more.

I'd definitely just start with a Discord server for now, but down the line it might make sense to have other stuff; I'm not really huge on reddit either but it could be useful enough depending on our use case.

RE: Web Development Community? - Hyper - 05-23-2018

As the person who is building a website for a legitimate company and porting themes for MFGG. I am actually interested of joining a web development chat session. I still consider myself a rookie and I would be happy to learn new things with web dev.

RE: Web Development Community? - HylianDev - 05-24-2018

I'd love a Discord server. If it can be reasonably active, then we can all really help each other. I'm in.

RE: Web Development Community? - Spritanium - 05-26-2018

afaik I'm one of the only people here who actually does this as a career, so yeah I'd be happy to help people out with stuff for good karma

RE: Web Development Community? - Mario - 05-27-2018

Thanks for the interest guys! I'll work on getting something set up either today or tomorrow and let you all know.

RE: Web Development Community? - Mario - 05-27-2018

Hey all, I have the server up and running here: https://discord.gg/6EUcYYB

I'll send out @ for everyone who seemed interested:

@VinnyVideo @"Dark Cruise Elroy" @HylianDev @Spritanium

RE: Web Development Community? - VinnyVideo - 05-27-2018

I shall check it out!

RE: Web Development Community? - Mario - 07-19-2019

Just waned to give this a bump to remind people of this place. We're alive and kicking and I'm proud to say at least 3 of our members (including myself) have evolved our Careers and taken them to the next step through this kind of "co-working" environment. If anyone else is interested in the Power of the web or works on that kind of thing I definitely recommend you check it out- we're always pretty interested in more faces and helping people evolve their careers. I'd say we have a pretty semi-professional environment too, so it's a bit less rowdy than the mfgg or minus worlds of the world.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.