MFGG Forums
Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes (/showthread.php?tid=935)

Pages: 1 2

Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-23-2018

Hi, this is my art topic. Most of the artwork I do is for portfolio/school work and I'd like to keep my personal life separate from MFGG for the time being, so I won't be posting that stuff for now. I want to make some art to show you guys since I feel as though I don't really do much of note on MFGG. Most of what I post here will likely be quick Mario-related drawings. I probably won't be doing full illustrations or anything all that amazing because I'd rather spend that time on portfolio work, but maybe I'll find the time this summer to do a more complicated Mario-related illustration. Criticism is welcome of course as well as any other comments you may have.

To start things off, here is a drawing I did today. It's a drawing of Princess Daisy... kind of. I don't like Daisy very much because of how much she feels like a Peach derivative,  but I like the concept of her kingdom. I tried to kind of redesign her to capture that unique collage of environments that make up her kingdom. This design is not at all Mario styled, but maybe I will challenge myself to redraw her in the cutesy Mario style to give more of an idea of what she could look like in an actual Mario game. I actually don't like designing characters any more than I need to for specific illustrations, but this was kind of fun because I didn't take it too seriously. I wanted her to still look enough like current Daisy to be recognizable as the same character, so I worked with her current dress and just added to it.

[Image: ASrIz1v.jpg]

Bigger Version

Let me know what you think and thank you for viewing my thread.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - VinnyVideo - 05-23-2018

That's an interesting take on Daisy. I like the amount of detail you put into her outfit and accessories.

Also, she looks just a little like Beyoncé.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - GamerInGeorgia - 05-23-2018

Looks really nice! The background makes it look like a drawing on a piece of parchment. Was that intentional?

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-24-2018

Thanks to both of you. Yes, I did intentionally try to make it look like it was on parchment. 

I did a sketch of it in a more Mario-like style to see what it could look like in the Mario universe. 
[Image: 8gTUncv.jpg]

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Mariotroid - 05-24-2018

This is pretty cool. Using your art school skills and techniques?

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-24-2018

Thanks! I definitely have learned a lot in school and I apply my knowledge to my art. I don’t do much character design in school since that isn’t something I am interested in, so this is a bit out of my comfort zone. Stylistically the first one is closer to what I normally do, though I enjoy working in simpler styles as well from time to time. Hopefully I will find the time to do a Nintendo-related illustration that I put more time into to give a better idea of what I like to do.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Gato - 05-25-2018

Nice.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-30-2018

Quick Princess Peach drawing. Newer version a few posts down.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - GamerInGeorgia - 05-30-2018

Looks great!

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Mariotroid - 05-30-2018

The face is a bit masculine but still it isn't bad.

Thanks for the comments
@Mariotroid what about the face is seeming masculine to you?

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - MC Jimmy - 05-30-2018

Those look pretty rad. I like the designs a lot.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Mariotroid - 05-30-2018

All i can really think of is that she doesn' look like an attractive woman and the neck is a bit thick. It' a minor complaint it' just very slightly too.

Thanks for the feedback. I slimmed the neck and tried to make her a bit prettier. Not sure if I succeeded, but I think she looks at least a little better. 
[Image: iem7Lb1.jpg]

Bigger Version

EDIT: Updated based on what @Mariotroid said below. It's proabably still not perfect, but I'm not sure how much else I want to tinker with this. Of course criticism is still more than welcome on it and I'll take anything said into account for the future.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Mariotroid - 05-31-2018

The eyes should be a bit higher up anatomically. It's still pretty good and improved.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Mario - 05-31-2018

Didn't know you did art, Evil Yoshi Toes. Great to see you're as talented an artist as you are a poster.

Peach looks great, but I think her hair seems a bit high? It might just be the angle she's at though- can't say I've seen Peach at that angle too often before so I'm not completely sure what her hair looks like from there.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-31-2018

(05-31-2018, 04:06 PM)Mario Wrote: Didn't know you did art, Evil Yoshi Toes. Great to see you're as talented an artist as you are a poster.

Peach looks great, but I think her hair seems a bit high? It might just be the angle she's at though- can't say I've seen Peach at that angle too often before so I'm not completely sure what her hair looks like from there.
Thanks very much. 
I had that issue when drawing the hair. She has really weird hair and it was a challenge drawing it from the side. I probably could have found a screenshot of her in profile if I hunted enough but I was a bit lazy with the reference admittedly. I think you're right though about it being too high up, which might be what is throwing off the face a bit.

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - CuteYoshiGirl - 07-11-2018

I really love Peach and her profile! Reminds me of traditional tattoo art. Maybe look up how “Traditional American Tattooa” and pinup girls. It might give you a few ideas with future art. Maybe apply the soft facial features from peach to daisy.. you’ll have some unique art! I would buy a print of Peach!!

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Evil Yoshi Toes - 07-17-2018

Thanks for the comments and advice! 
I haven't posted on here in a while. Here are some Marios
[Image: sxtJvC5.jpg]

RE: Art by Evil Yoshi Toes - Mariotroid - 07-17-2018

I like the first one a lot. Could be Mario in a noir thriller type game. Smile

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.