MFGG Forums
Metroidvania tutorials? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Metroidvania tutorials? (/showthread.php?tid=936)

Metroidvania tutorials? - sc00pj0hn - 05-23-2018

I've always had the intention to plan a metroidvania game, but due to my beginner skills at GML, i've never been able to find out a tutorial on how to implement metroidvania elements in a game. Does anyone mind pointing me out where to start?

RE: Metroidvania tutorials? - Pedigree - 05-24-2018

Would you be a tad more specific, please? What specific metroidvania elements are you after?

RE: Metroidvania tutorials? - sc00pj0hn - 05-24-2018

(05-24-2018, 11:13 AM)Pedigree Wrote: Would you be a tad more specific, please? What specific metroidvania elements are you after?

Excuse me, i forget about details.

I'd need to find out how to have a feature where the save data stores in objects, abilities, unlockables, map position, pretty much how a metroidvania works. For my game i'd theorically use maps for each zone/area along, and the menu that contains equipment, inventory, etc. that is accessiible during in-game. TO be honest, i haven't played Super Metroid (and later) or Symphony of the Night but i'm pretty inspired to La-Mulana because i am a NES style fanatic (and would try to make my first platformer engine).

RE: Metroidvania tutorials? - VinnyVideo - 05-24-2018

Some of this information - like the player's current position - is probably going to be stored as a global variable. Abilities and unlockables might be stored in a global array. If there are lots of items that the player should only be able to collect once, you'll want to use a ds_map to store whether the item was collected.

Then once you have all your data stored in memory, you'll need a way to put it into a save file. Do you know how to do that? (My RPG engine has an example that might help you.)

This is a very simplified outline, so if you're confused about anything, please ask.

RE: Metroidvania tutorials? - sc00pj0hn - 05-24-2018

(05-24-2018, 04:18 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: Some of this information - like the player's current position - is probably going to be stored as a global variable. Abilities and unlockables might be stored in a global array. If there are lots of items that the player should only be able to collect once, you'll want to use a ds_map to store whether the item was collected.

Then once you have all your data stored in memory, you'll need a way to put it into a save file. Do you know how to do that? (My RPG engine has an example that might help you.)

This is a very simplified outline, so if you're confused about anything, please ask.

I don't know how to do it in a simplified outline, but apparently the things i meant can be done like in your RPG engine too?

RE: Metroidvania tutorials? - VinnyVideo - 05-24-2018

Yeah, my RPG engine might help you out.

Do you know how to make a global variable? That's how you store a piece of data that you want to be able to use in multiple rooms. You might do something like this:

Code:
global.name = "Vinny";

Once you have that working, you'll want to store it using a script like scr_savegame().

RE: Metroidvania tutorials? - sc00pj0hn - 05-25-2018

(05-24-2018, 07:36 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: Yeah, my RPG engine might help you out.

Do you know how to make a global variable? That's how you store a piece of data that you want to be able to use in multiple rooms. You might do something like this:

Code:
global.name = "Vinny";

Once you have that working, you'll want to store it using a script like scr_savegame().

I'll be sure to follow on it when i have any free time, and yes, i know global variables. However, for the platforming stuff, i'll have to make that out myself ;_;

RE: Metroidvania tutorials? - VinnyVideo - 05-25-2018

All right. If you need any help, please let me know.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.