MFGG Forums
"How to [Give and] Take Criticism" - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: "How to [Give and] Take Criticism" (/showthread.php?tid=944)

"How to [Give and] Take Criticism" - Mario - 05-24-2018

Here's an article I found today that I think would be pretty interesting for MFGG considering some recent discussions:

How to Take Criticism

It's specifically aimed at designers but I think there's enough that can apply to anyone.

Here's some key bits:

Quote:I firmly believe you can be a critic while being kind and open-hearted.

I don’t even care if that sounds naive.

Most people think the number one goal of a critic is to judge whether work is good or bad.

They are wrong. #imo

The number one goal of a critic should be to make things better. That’s it. None of this binary good/bad stuff. Lots of people would disagree with me on this. Like maybe these guys:

[photo] Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel, film critics and former hosts of At the Movies.

Criticism only succeeds when everyone wants things to be better. The moment you sniff out that a critic’s goal is not to help you make things better, BOY BYE.

How do you know if they don’t want to make things better? You know when a troll is a troll. They reveal it through their lack of curiosity about your work.

Leading up to an Apple event, I once saw a prominent tech writer and critic tweet, “Can’t wait for another boring design from Jony Ive.”

Why wouldn’t you want Jony Ive to do the best he can? Why wouldn’t you want the next iPhone to be the best thing of all time? Why wouldn’t you want everything to be amazing? It might not be, but give it a minute. As a critic, if I’m not open to the possibility of my mind being blown, what’s the point?

Here’s a critic who wants things to be better:

[photo]

Mary-Alice Pomputius doesn't go anywhere without her dog. She keeps a personal blog of all the pet relief areas in airports. I love this blog. Don’t ask me how I found it, I couldn’t even tell you. I don’t even have a dog.

The author writes thoroughly about her experience. She questions the choices made by airport management. And she makes suggestions for how the airport could improve. Turns out there are a lot of airports that want to make things better too. Many have approached her to act as a consultant to improve their pet areas.

To be a good critic, you don't have to start a blog or write essays. But you must stay curious and look for ways to make things better.

Quote:Usually, when we face criticism, we concern ourselves with one question:

Is my work good or bad?

You’ve got to stop asking yourself this. It is torturous. It will make you sad.

Instead, focus on this question: What is the next step I can take to make my work better? And then, focus all your efforts on taking criticism that helps you answer that question.

Of course there's a lot more to it. It's an easy read and worth your time I think!

RE: "How to [Give and] Take Criticism" - VinnyVideo - 05-24-2018

A good article indeed! Criticism is valuable when it focuses on concrete suggestions for improving one's work. This is especially true when there's not a lot of distance between the person giving the criticism and the one receiving the criticism.

I understand why people go on social media and joke about ugly designs being used by big companies. I can't guarantee you that Gap or Instagram is going to see your tweet and take your critique into account to build a better product.

However, when you're talking about a small-scale fangame maker or a budding artist, the emphasis always needs to be on ways they can make their work better, using concrete suggestions that are appropriate to their level of expertise and their ambition to improve.

On an unrelated note, I like how the author of the post enhances her blog with Piranha Plant GIFs.

RE: "How to [Give and] Take Criticism" - Yakibomb - 05-25-2018

This is a great article for me, as I do not know how to give or receive criticism well. I love this quote:

Quote:You have as much power as your harshest critic.

That's definitely going on my whiteboard. Thanks for sharing!

RE: "How to [Give and] Take Criticism" - GamerInGeorgia - 05-25-2018

I completely agree with the points this article makes. While it does bring up some things I never thought of, this article basically sums up how I think while giving criticism or accepting it. This was a really nice find. Thanks!

RE: "How to [Give and] Take Criticism" - Mario - 05-25-2018

I'm glad it could be helpful to some! I really enjoy the writing style- it's very easy to digest. (Not saying I'd want every article to be like this but it suits the content!)

I'm mixed about how the article just lumps in a bunch of critics as trolls. There's a great section about extracting useful criticism from someone who is having trouble what they're describing and quite frankly I don't see too much difference between them and the "trolls." I'm not saying all criticism is in good faith, but I don't necessarily agree it's a good idea to shut out people you perceive as trolls right away. Not everyone's going to be able to give the criticism you want, and a lot of times they aren't too great at giving the criticism they want either. That being said it really depends on what's important to you and what your goals (and target audience especially) are with your project. The more appeal you want the more you're going to have to try to understand all kinds of different points of views.

Also I don't really agree with being disappointed in people who are fed up with Jony Ive's trash. I just don't think Apple is going to make too many great products as long as he's around. As the head of design at Apple it's clear there's something seriously going wrong and I think some fresh blood would do the company good. I want Apple to make the best products possible but I just don't see Jony Ive giving too much heed to what journalists have to say no matter what they tweet LOL (but this isn't too relevant to this thread...)

Anyway, as I've said in the other thread I think all criticism is a blessing. Even the more obtuse criticism can give you some insight if you spend some time with it. However, your project is your project- you decide what matters with it or not.

RE: "How to [Give and] Take Criticism" - Briraka - 05-26-2018

agreed. the article is insightful, but it relies too much on "~tee hee f*** the haters!~" rhetoric when talking about critics themselves that it kinda defeats the idea of listening and understanding others to improve your work.

RE: "How to [Give and] Take Criticism" - mrpin355 - 05-26-2018

Thanks for showing it!
I definitely need it!

RE: "How to [Give and] Take Criticism" - Mariotroid - 05-27-2018

Great article!! I agree wholeheartedly. Some people judge and critique to scold or criticize (pardon the pun), rather than make things better. And isn' that what everyone wants in life? Betting things? I know I do!!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.