MFGG Forums
SMB Dimensions is great! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: SMB Dimensions is great! (/showthread.php?tid=958)

SMB Dimensions is great! - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-27-2018

The game is amazing! 
and impeccable it's what someone can do really well if they put there mind to it. 

The giant fatal flaw, however is the control! I feel like it's stiff, and you can't change jump direction.

RE: Why I think Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a mediocre game - Yoshi2000 - 05-27-2018

I honestly don't see a point of making this thread and telling us why you hate a fan game.
(100th Post!)

RE: Why I think Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a mediocre game - Pedigree - 05-27-2018

I feel like you are being nitpicky and that you're expecting more from a fangame than you should.

Requiring a new original soundtrack?

Complaining that a fangame has references to things? Isn't that kind of the point?

Complaining about which variety of English he's using?

Can't say I agree with a single point that you made.

If you don't like it, you don't like it but I honestly think you should have posted this on the game's page instead of specifically calling it out on the forum with a title that states it's mediocre.

RE: Why I think Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a mediocre game - SonicKade2048 - 05-27-2018

I'm just gonna put my answers out here to describe as best as I can why these things are like this. Keep in mind I don't know who worked on the development of SMBD (Super Mario Bros. Dimensions), so I'm going to be referring to Langton as the only developer since, again, I don't know who else worked on it, if anyone did at all.

1. Not everyone has access to perfect translators. Last I checked, Langton is  British, but not everyone is going to have perfect spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. on the internet. Plus, if he chooses to spell things his own way, then why call him out for it? Different regions around the world have different ways to spell words, such as "practice" being spelled as "practise" in some other places on the globe.
  2. Does every bit of music have to be original? No. This is a game based around the style of Super Mario Bros. 3, and it is completely okay to use music from that game, along with other Mario-themed games as well. You wouldn't put Sonic the Hedgehog or Kirby music in a Mario game, would you? Some people do it, and it's fine in my book, but it's odd to have other genres mixed in with each other in some cases.
  3. Some people have trouble coming up with original ideas for things, and it's completely fine to parody them as long as you give credit. In this instance, however, it was a mere coincidence that Langton's new enemies are similar to Kirby ones. Yes, they may act the same, but that doesn't mean they're always copied from one another.
  4. It's your opinion, yes, but there might be more people who like the graphics better than others. Even if it doesn't look good to you, it may look good to somebody else.
  5. Some power-ups might be too boring for some people, so Langton probably left them out due to how overused they were in other games. This is a fangame after all, and if Langton chooses not to put in certain power-ups for his own reasons, then it's nothing to complain about, since he made the game.
  6. The only way Mario would be able to have an Italian accent in this game is with voices (At least, how I see it), and Langton might not have had the chance to use voice acting, let alone implement voices at all in the game, if it's even possible.
  7. Re-read the 3rd statement I made. It goes for anything else in games as well.

RE: Why I think Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a mediocre game - Langton - 05-27-2018

1. I didn't really think that was going to be a big problem when I was making it. The differences between British and American English aren't huge, when it came to the words I used. And in a way, maybe that gives it a little British touch? Making it obvious that a Brit made it could be a good thing or a bad thing. Admittedly though, I'm not a huge fan of spelling colour as color.
2. The idea of an original soundtrack was way too ambitious for me, both in the sense that it would take a lot of time, and that my social abilities when I was 15 weren't great, even on the forums.
3. While Tyke was absolutely inspired by Wheelie, Shannon Cannon was based off of the Lava Lotuses from SMW, but more like weaker versions that you could jump on. The sprite I made for it wasn't great as it doesn't look much like a flower, so I redesigned it for the sequel. You're correct with the Fliprus connection, too.
4. I got someone else to make the Goomba and Koopa. With the Boo sprite I was attempting to make it like the 64-era incarnation with the more frightening look than the goofier modern look. Lakitu's sprites were meant to be a cross between SMB3 and SMW. Had I made the game now I could've definitely done a better job.
5. I prefer to come up with my own power-ups than to use existing ones that came with the engine. The Super Leaf was going to be in the game alongside the Jetpack, but I didn't see the point in having more than one flight powerup (aside from the Laser Jetpack, but that's a combination of powerups so maybe it gets a pass?), and I wanted it to stand out more from SMB3. Laser Mario was supposed to be the game's equivalent of Hammer Mario in that it can defeat enemies that the Fire Flower cannot, such as Buzzy Beetles.
6. I was originally going to have Mario's dialogue involve a lot of having his-a words end a lot like-a this-a. Then I decided that might get annoying after a while when reading it.
7. That was the entire point of the Laser powerup. Nothing wrong with referencing other series, is there? But with the Jetpack, a theme I was going for with the new powerups was futuristic, and that's how it came to mind, and after that I guess I used Jet Kirby from Kirby Super Star as a reference. Bomb Mario was not a powerup I created; it was in the engine I used already, and it's been in the Hello Engine since 2009.

Heck, I'm surprised you didn't mention how hard some of the level design can be, and how often deaths are caused from trial-and-error dimension switching. I will agree that it isn't worthy of 9/10 or 10/10 reviews; the main reason it received them was because it was an actual completed full-length Mario fangame.

RE: Why I think Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a mediocre game - VinnyVideo - 05-27-2018

Most of these are very superficial reasons to criticize a game. Both American and British spellings (tire vs. tyre, color vs. colour) are widely seen, and neither is considered incorrect or invalid. I've actually met a number of Americans who tend to use British spellings. Even professionally-localized games aren't necessarily going to make separate American English and British English translations.

Making an all-original soundtrack is a massive undertaking. It's going to take many, many hours (and a lot of skill and creativity) to make 15-20 songs. If you're going to put in that kind of effort, you'd probably be better off making an indie game that you could sell.

Lots and lots of fangames contain references to other series. Even many official Nintendo games do that (including, but not limited to, games with the word "Smash" in their titles).

Overall, I think Super Mario Dimensions is a creative and enjoyable game, and it's one of my favorite games on MFGG. However, as Langton mentioned, there are some legitimate flaws, including some bugs with the engine, as well as multiple levels where it's possible to fall into pits after switching dimensions.

RE: Why I think Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a mediocre game - Mario - 05-27-2018

Pretty interesting feedback, not the kind of stuff I'd expect to make or break a game but it goes to show everyone has different priorities.

RE: Why I think Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a mediocre game - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-27-2018

I just remembered that Shotzo can aim in 5 different directions.  
And as long as it’s not spelled incorrectly you can alternate between the British and North American versions.

RE: Why I think Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a mediocre game - Syaxamaphone - 05-27-2018

I hate this topic

Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a great game! - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-28-2018

Sorry about what I said earlier, I underestimated how good the game was and finally realized that it was great. 

There's a whole bunch of things that make it unique and different from any other fangame. 

But I have a question, Why didn't you add Luigi in the game.

RE: Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a great game! - Langton - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 03:19 PM)gengarmaster Wrote: But I have a question, Why didn't you add Luigi in the game.

Uh, I guess you haven't beaten the main game yet then.
Before you ask about why he's a post-game unlock, I think I was just too lazy to do cutscenes for both Mario and Luigi, which would also require changing the game's story to accommodate for Luigi. As you may know though, he's playable from the start in the sequel.

RE: Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a great game! - Mariotroid - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 03:47 PM)Langton Wrote:
(05-28-2018, 03:19 PM)gengarmaster Wrote: But I have a question, Why didn't you add Luigi in the game.

Before you ask about why he's a post-game unlock, I think I was just too lazy to do cutscenes for both Mario and Luigi, which would also require changing the game's story to accommodate for Luigi. As you may know though, he's playable from the start in the sequel.
Is the second game already completed?

RE: Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a great game! - Langton - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 04:30 PM)Mariotroid Wrote:

Nah, it's still in development. I've released two demos of it, both of which have Luigi playable. Though maybe I should've said "he will be playable".

RE: Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a great game! - Mariotroid - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 04:44 PM)Langton Wrote:
(05-28-2018, 04:30 PM)Mariotroid Wrote:

Nah, it's still in development. I've released two demos of it, both of which have Luigi playable. Though maybe I should've said "he will be playable".

How long did it take to develop Ssper Mario Bros. Dimensions?

RE: Super Mario Bros Dimensions is a great game! - Langton - 05-29-2018

(05-28-2018, 06:20 PM)Mariotroid Wrote: How long did it take to develop Ssper Mario Bros. Dimensions?

Roughly a year and a half. I have files related to it dating back to August 2013, and I released the first full version in February 2015. The development time for the sequel has already exceeded the first game's, but I've had more real-life events getting in the way than before, such as starting university.

RE: SMB Dimensions is great! - Gato - 05-29-2018

Agreed.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.