MFGG Forums
Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( (/showthread.php?tid=959)

Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - chucklehuck - 05-28-2018

I noticed that there are a lot of Sonic fan games out there and Sega doesn't appear bothered by it, in fact, I just recently discovered that Sonic Mania was made by a team of fan game developers who were hired by Sega.

Why is Nintendo more conservative than Sega in this respect? Also, did anyone here ever get in trouble with Nintendo because of that?

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - VinnyVideo - 05-28-2018

Some say it's because Sega fans often put out better stuff than Sega itself! Compared to Sega, Nintendo is more consistent with its quality. While lots of Nintendo fangamers make interesting, creative projects, and we aren't exactly topping Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild.

I don't know of any MFGGers who have been contacted by Nintendo (for reasons good or bad). I know DJ Coco had one of his Paper Mario 3D Land downloads taken down on MediaFire, but I suspect it was confused for being a commercial ROM. Some stuff happened with Super Mario Bros. X years ago, but I'm still not quite sure what actually happened with that.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - Briraka - 05-28-2018

because nintendo doesn't have to save face as bad as sega does.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - Syaxamaphone - 05-28-2018

Nintendo hires lots of Nintendo fans, it's just probably not going to be us.

Nintendo focuses on trying to create new experiences and ways to play. They don't want to hire devs that spend their free time trying to recreate what they already accomplished in the 1990s.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - chucklehuck - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 01:39 PM)Syaxamaphone Wrote: Nintendo hires lots of Nintendo fans, it's just probably not going to be us.

Nintendo focuses on trying to create new experiences and ways to play. They don't want to hire devs that spend their free time trying to recreate what they already accomplished in the 1990s.

What an employee does in his free time is not the employer's business, whether they make Mario fan games, create Linux drivers or watch Mario themed hentai.

It does make sense though that they don't need to hire people who will pander to their audience's nostalgia because that's not the type of content they make most of the time.

Given that they're a Japanese company I think that they will first and foremost look for people to hire in Japan, they rarely even cooperate with western companies when dealing with their IPs like for example Retro studios.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - Mario - 05-28-2018

I'd rather have Nintendo spend it's time making good games rather than have a funny twitter account or whatever it is sega does. Not that I think all the games Nintendo works on are great, but at least I feel like they're trying

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - СМБХфан - 05-28-2018

It's because Sega does what Nintendon't.

They are doing this to win back to crowd, to get the Classic Sonic fans who hate almost every major Sonic title after Sonic 3&K.

After all, they've been losing money and fans for quite a long time.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - OssieTheOstrich - 01-02-2019

(05-28-2018, 08:27 PM)Mario Wrote: I'd rather have Nintendo spend it's time making good games rather than have a funny twitter account or whatever it is sega does.

You know they could just hire a guy that isn't involved with the game making process to run the Twitter account.

Though Nintendo does support fans who create custom Amiibos, such as GandaKris, who is a Nintendo brand ambassador by the way.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 01-02-2019

If Nintendo Did Listen to those Rabid Paper Mario Fans, You'll Get "Paper Mario the Well Crafted Journey", And The Fans Will Still Hate it Even Though It has all the Stuff The Thousand year Door Had, But in all Seriousness Nintendo Does Listen to their Fans Sometimes

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - Mariotroid - 01-02-2019

AM2R got shot down by Nintendo like a day after its release. It was a superior game to Samus Returns and they still took it down. However, the creator was hired by a game development studio so there is that.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - YoshisIsland3 - 01-04-2019

(01-02-2019, 04:38 PM)Mariotroid Wrote: AM2R got shot down by Nintendo like a day after its release. It was a superior game to Samus Returns and they still took it down. However, the creator was hired by a game development studio so there is that.

I think what's funny is that I think that AM2R's creation is probably what resulted in Samus Returns development.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - OssieTheOstrich - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:01 AM)YoshisIsland3 Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 04:38 PM)Mariotroid Wrote: AM2R got shot down by Nintendo like a day after its release. It was a superior game to Samus Returns and they still took it down. However, the creator was hired by a game development studio so there is that.

I think what's funny is that I think that AM2R's creation is probably what resulted in Samus Returns development. 
AM2R and Samus Returns were being made at the same time, and AM2R competed with Samus Returns, but no one knew Samus Returns was being made.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - YoshisIsland3 - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:43 AM)Ostrich Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 01:01 AM)YoshisIsland3 Wrote:

AM2R and Samus Returns were being made at the same time, and AM2R competed with Samus Returns, but no one knew Samus Returns was being made.

Thing is though, AM2R was in development for ten years longer than Samus Returns, so they weren't made at the same time, just AM2R unknowningly at the time, competed with a game that no one knew about like you said.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - Daisy - 01-10-2019

I don't think it's exactly "more love" or anything rather than them being a bit more tolerant of fangames being made. I have heard of some instances where people have gotten in trouble with Nintendo but none off the top of my head. It may be more to do with the fact that Nintendo is probably able to get away with removing fan games more than Sega could as Nintendo is more popular and makes more money than Sega does. But that is just my theory and it might be rubbish.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-10-2019

Probably because Nintendo is better at pleasing fans than Sega is. The companies are also in very different places, with Sega needing to reel back in their lost audience and Nintendo being able to focus on expanding their existing audience with fresh ideas.

RE: Why does Sega give their fans more love than Nintendo? :( - Daisy - 01-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 07:01 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: Probably because Nintendo is better at pleasing fans than Sega is. The companies are also in very different places, with Sega needing to reel back in their lost audience and Nintendo being able to focus on expanding their existing audience with fresh ideas.

That is true. Sega has had more duds than Nintendo has.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.