MFGG Forums
What sparked your interest in older games? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: What sparked your interest in older games? (/showthread.php?tid=968)

What sparked your interest in older games? - VinnyVideo - 05-29-2018

I'm curious about something. Lots of people here are interested in games that are significantly older than they are. What got you interested in retro gaming, since you probably weren't playing these games when they first came out?

For me, I was born near the end of the NES era, and my older brother had an NES (which we still have), so I was exposed to NES games at a very young age. We also had an old 386 computer (Windows 3.1/DOS 5) that had a lot of games from the 80's.

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-29-2018

I was born in the late 90s, so most of my childhood gaming was with the Gamecube and the Wii for home consoles and the GBA and DS for portables. Before the gamecube came out I used to watch my cousins play Smash Bros and some other games on their N64, but I didn't play Smash Bros until a little bit after the Gamecube came out because I was too young to really know how to play anything beyond very simple PC games. I didn't own my own N64 until 5 or so years ago. When the Wii was released I sold my Gamecube for it since it's backward compatible, but now I don't have my Wii because it stopped working but I did get another Gamecube since it was cheaper than a Wii and I now play my Wii games on a sibling's Wii U. 

I was exposed to the N64 at my cousins' house, so that's how I got to know that console. 

I got into playing NES and SNES games in middle school. I've known they existed for as long as I can remember, but fan games using NES and SNES era graphics is what got me into playing the games.

I had a lot of mid 90s to early 2000s PC games, most of which were bought for my older brother who was born earlier in the 90s. I don't think I have any of them anymore, but all of the ones I can remember I've been able to play emulated.

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - Kritter - 05-29-2018

Well I was born in 1984 so it's fair to say I grew up with old games. My grandparents lived next door to us and had an Atari 2600 an a few Game & Watches and me and my siblings used to go to their house all the time to play them. I also had friends who had a NES, plenty of people had Gameboy's and we owned a Commodore 64. It wasn't until I was around 8 that I started getting my own consoles, starting with my old Master System with built in Sonic 1.

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - Mariotroid - 05-29-2018

I got interested in older games bbcause I saw fangames. I realized modern games can not be created by one teenage developer but instead only SNES or NES games could be developed. I got into fangames and decided to make games of that kind.

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - Pedigree - 05-29-2018

Like Kritter, I also grew up with them.

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - Yoshin - 05-29-2018

Grew up with them
When I was 6 I got a c64 which also helped me out with learning to program.

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - GamerInGeorgia - 05-29-2018

I got interested in older games ever since I found out about older consoles and that "whoa, there are more Mario games out there than the ones I know of." That led me down the path of finding MFGG and becoming a Nintendo fan.

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - Cruise Elroy - 05-29-2018

It mostly had to do with the fact that I just so happened to be growing up at the time a lot of games were getting ported to newer consoles. Mario had the Super Mario Advance series, Mega Man had the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, and who could forget the numerous Namco Museum games released on the GameCube or GBA? I also got my hands on a few Plug N Play systems that also had older games on them, so it's really been something that goes back as far as I can remember.

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - littlelum - 05-29-2018

Pretty much what GamerInGeorgia said

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - Syaxamaphone - 05-30-2018

They weren't older games yet when I was playing them.

RE: What sparked your interest in older games? - HylianDev - 05-30-2018

I grew up in a household that had NES, SNES, N64, and PSX, and still played all of them. So they were sort of old when I was playing them, but not terribly.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.