MFGG Forums
MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: The Dungeon (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: The Vault (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods (/showthread.php?tid=976)

MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - DustinVG - 05-30-2018

Alright, so, we were going to wait until LumaSMS was done so we could add a new section entirely for them, but with the ETA of that currently nebulous, we decided to allow users to submit hacks under the games section.

However, this comes with some conditions, which I will detail below.

1) You must not include any commercial roms with your upload. If you do, we will decline the submission, regardless of anything else.
2) Your submission must be prefixed with [HACK]
3) Your submission must be set to the "hack" gametype
4) You must specify the base game, console and region in the description, to make patching easier for players

Thank you for your attention and time.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Gato - 05-30-2018

Sweet. This is a nice step forward from Ninty.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - OssieTheOstrich - 05-31-2018

You can't upload a rom of your hack? just a patch?

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Gate - 05-31-2018

(05-31-2018, 02:12 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote: You can't upload a rom of your hack? just a patch?

As stated on the main site submission guidelines, you can only provide either a .ips or a .bps file.ust be submitted in patch format (bps is recommended) and contain as little copyrighted code as possible.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - OssieTheOstrich - 05-31-2018

(05-31-2018, 03:59 AM)Gatete Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 02:12 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote: You can't upload a rom of your hack? just a patch?

As stated on the main site submission guidelines, you can only provide either a .ips or a .bps file.ust be submitted in patch format (bps is recommended) and contain as little copyrighted code as possible.

How come the Sonic community get's to post ROMs, yet MFGG doesn't?

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Pedigree - 05-31-2018

Doesn't matter what the Sonic community is doing, either you upload only the patch of your hack or it gets declined. It's that simple.

This is not negotiable. We don't want Nintendo's wrath for hosting roms.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Yoshin - 05-31-2018

(05-31-2018, 05:21 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote: How come the Sonic community get's to post ROMs, yet MFGG doesn't?

Sega in general tends to be more lax about that kind of thing then Nintendo, who says on their site you shouldn't even be emulating their games.(Which is absurd, I'm not pulling out my SNES every time I want to play SMW)
MFGG really wants to be on the legal plus side of things, and the only easy way to ensure that is only allow patches.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - littlelum - 05-31-2018

Guess I should stop being lazy and finally start working on my Super Mario kart hack, then

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Q-Nova - 05-31-2018

Wow, that's really cool to hear! I didn't expect that it would happen that soon.  I hope this goes well.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - DustinVG - 05-31-2018

(05-31-2018, 05:21 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 03:59 AM)Gatete Wrote:

How come the Sonic community get's to post ROMs, yet MFGG doesn't?

As Yoshin mentioned, Sega is really, really lax about ROMs of their games. In fact, you can download hacks directly from the Sega Genesis Steam Workshop as utterly and completely unencrypted ROM files.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Arima - 06-17-2018

I'd like to point out a potential problem with IPS files: They're not 100% reliable.
One time I applied an IPS Patch, the tile data on the base ROM ended up being corrupted.
And the only way to avoid this issue is to get the Hacked ROM directly.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Yoshin - 06-17-2018

(06-17-2018, 07:42 PM)Arima Wrote: I'd like to point out a potential problem with IPS files: They're not 100% reliable.
One time I applied an IPS Patch, the tile data on the base ROM ended up being corrupted.

This should not be an issue unless you have the wrong base ROM or the person who made it started with a modified ROM.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - littlelum - 06-17-2018

Yeah, I found out the hard way that sometimes the ROM needs to be headered and some can't, for example

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Arima - 06-20-2018

(06-17-2018, 07:51 PM)Yoshin Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 07:42 PM)Arima Wrote: I'd like to point out a potential problem with IPS files: They're not 100% reliable.

This should not be an issue unless you have the wrong base ROM or the person who made it started with a modified ROM.

Well, here are some other things that I learned from personal experience:

1. IPS Patched ROMS won't work with specific versions of an emulator.
2. Patch creators can make mistakes by writing vague instructions. Why? Because they don't bother to know the intricate details of the base ROM that they made their patch for.
Such as which Emulators this patch will and will not work on, which versions of said emulator will run and will not run this patched game, and checking for proper terminology (U for NTSC or E for PAL?) to find out which version of the ROM they're using to create their patch.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - VinnyVideo - 06-20-2018

@Arima That's why we require hack submitters to include information about the game their hack is designed for - game, version, and region.

As long as you're using a standard emulator and you're patching the right ROM, IPS patches are usually pretty reliable.

RE: MFGG Now Allowing Hacks and Mods - Syaxamaphone - 06-20-2018

Is there a better alternative to IPS files that could be used instead?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.