MFGG Forums
Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) (/showthread.php?tid=99)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 11-28-2017

So, a new forum means I'll have to rebuild my threads. It's not a big deal because there's only one thread that I'm truly interested in anyway.

Below are the links that lead to the new sheets I submitted to the main site at the point of writing this post. I might update this post if I upload more in the future, but nothing is really set in stone.

Paper Mario
Goomba
Koopa Troopa (Alt. Palettes)
Dry Bones
Goombario
Parakarry
The Koopa Bros. (Their Leader)
The Big Lantern Ghost
Kent C. Koopa
Goompapa

By the way, I'm including a few sheets in this post just in case you're not keen on going through all the trouble of downloading the sheets.

[Image: nk8MKta.png]
[Image: nWszNVC.png]
[Image: PHfEt9T.png]

Here's my first fully rigged puppet since the art shift in action.
[Image: oNyZ5EY.png]
[Image: lakzZZl.png]

Finally, here's the latest piece of concept art. You can check out the critique left by CaptainKakarot through this link.
[Image: 7ZaeYzd.png]

If you need me to display any older pieces of progress on this thread, just let me know and I'll see what I can muster.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 12-06-2017

So, I had a past few days that really threw me off. Not only was I on a trip, but my family dog died recently. As such, this took a while.

[Image: kWIBr4R.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - VinnyVideo - 12-06-2017

Sorry to hear about your dog.

It's nice to see an update on this. I know you've done a lot of cool animations with these, but I'd also love to see someone use them for a fangame. I know rigging them would be a lot more involved than using regular sprite sheets, but it would look amazing if someone used these in a game.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 12-07-2017

So sorry about your dog. As usual your work looks very nice. I too would like to see these used in a fan game. They're really pretty

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 03-04-2018

I really appreciate the kind wishes! While I would like to still have the family dog, we recently got a puppy back in January of this year. He's quite tiring, but I don't really want to have a life without him nearby.

So, I get this comment a lot regarding the use of these in a fan game. Well, virtually anyone is free to use the sheets. They just need to figure out how to place them in there.

Anyway, these took a while because characters with multiple layers are tricky. On top of that, I was also experimenting with different means of rigging.

[Image: 9bd2qdV.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 03-19-2018

This is greatly incomplete, but here is the base ground for World 1-1.

[Image: 69mYH9Y.png]
[Image: RnIaC2j.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - YoshisIsland3 - 03-19-2018

Nevermind, it fixed itself.
Looks really cool, by the way.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 03-24-2018

This time, I tackled the blocks. Due to the finicky nature of UVs, this gave me more trouble than I anticipated (especially when I tackled the rubble of the Brick Block).
[Image: nBSTrMS.png]
[Image: IDxe4H6.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-24-2018

Are those thick chunks the rubble?

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Willsaber - 03-24-2018

That looks nice, but I think TTYD has a more elegant effect where the yellow boxes are decals on the brown box that peel off when hit.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 03-25-2018

Yeah, those chunks are the rubble.

As for the block changing effect, you must be thinking about Sticker Star and Color Splash. How it actually is in the Thousand Year Door is that the entire block folds inside out. My version is a little more practical (especially since I'm attempting deformers on these blocks for shape variation); however, I'll experiment with the decal idea if you want that.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-25-2018

The thick chunks look a little odd to me since the box is made of thin paper. Have you considered using confetti? Since you're going for that papery look, I think that'd make a lot of sense, having the brick block act as a pinata that explodes with confetti or square/rectangular bits of paper. They could still be various shades of brown to look like bricks while keeping to that papery feel.

That's an interesting idea. The thing about the Brick Block is that the hollow variation (the one that I show that you can open up) is actually those "fake" Brick Blocks that house items. I imagine the standard version is pretty solid, which was why I created the rubble in the first place. While I don't think it's too difficult to create a confetti effect, I'm a little uncomfortable really diving into the paper theme thanks to Sticker Star and Color Splash beating that theme into our skulls. Still, I'm willing to mix in paper bits into the standard rubble if you're up for a compromise.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-25-2018

That could look cool. I don't have anything against the rubble, it was just an idea for you to take or leave Smile
Though if I'm not mistaken, the first 3 paper mario games also used bits of square paper for the rubble. It wasn't quite as in-your-face papery as the confetti would be, but it still definitely was papery-looking. 

[Image: Bb4RNBy.png]

Oh! Right! I nearly forgot that it looked like that! When I recalled how the Brick Blocks crumbled in the actual game, I thought they broke up into little cubes. It's actually how it was in the first game. I now remember this is what it looked like for the Yellow Blocks you smash with a hammer, but I didn't realize this applied to the brick blocks, too.

In any case, this is a nice effect, and I'll try pairing it up with the rubble.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 03-28-2018

Alright! I tackled about 1/4 of the road. Even though this gave me a less stressful time by comparison, I still think there are a few issues I need to iron out.

[Image: JhYi0Rg.png]

[Image: vxdfxhH.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - GamerInGeorgia - 03-28-2018

Looking good! I think having the "brick" in between looks better than having the gap in between, but it's not much of a bother in my opinion.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-28-2018

Either way it looks fine, but the brick between looks a bit better. I'm excited to see the finished product.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - OssieTheOstrich - 03-29-2018

Hold on, what's the animation going to be about?, remaking Paper Mario (64) or a "What Color Splash should have been" or a Paper Mario version of SMB for the NES?

I'm confused.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Vitiman - 03-29-2018

It's none of those things - as far as I can tell, it's an original animated story that takes place in the Paper Mario universe, that's all.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.