MFGG Forums
Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) (/showthread.php?tid=99)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 03-30-2018

Michelangelo hit it on the head. I really enjoy telling original stories.

Anyway, I got a new update for the path. I might have to work out the size for the tiles.
[Image: zzST6E3.png]
[Image: Vu0iwKg.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-30-2018

Having dirt around it helps regardless in making it look more finished, but I think once you get trees and bushes and other decor in the space won't look so vast and the path won't look so narrow. If it were an RPG videogame then the path could be too restricting, but with an animation it really depends on the shots and how the set is used.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - OssieTheOstrich - 03-31-2018

The ground having dirt makes it more complete and fills in any hole or big gaps.
Speaking of the ground, it kinda looks Green Hill Zone.Laughing

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 04-06-2018

Oh, it wasn't my intention to make it look like Green Hills Zone. I was using the checkered grass seen in the original Paper Mario (and part of the Thousand Year Door) as the original inspiration.

Anyway, I got more feedback from the Captain. I'll experiment with it later, but for now, I'm finished with my pipes. Any changes I should look at? Also, which interior looks good?
[Image: 8xgnZyB.png]
[Image: SP9qpJk.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-06-2018

I prefer the black interior.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - VinnyVideo - 04-06-2018

The darker interior is probably more realistic, unless there's a bright light shining into or through the pipe.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - OssieTheOstrich - 04-07-2018

The Black one.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - YoshisIsland3 - 04-07-2018

Black looks easier on my eyes.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Q-Nova - 04-08-2018

It's nice to see that you're still working on this project and making some progress, E-Man! Smile Anyway, for the pipes, I think the darker interior looks better; I would use only use the lighter interior if there is some bright light in the pipe.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 04-08-2018

It's nothing, Q-Nova! I have no plans on ever halting this project, so you can expect more updates for the next five years!

Anyway, it seems like the unanimous decision is that the darker interior is the best choice; however, I want to wait for the Captain to see if she agrees so easily. By the way, she gave me some advice regarding the path, so I gave it a try here.
[Image: Y4GQ5gN.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-08-2018

That looks a lot better. It looks more like a path while still referencing the SMB tiles Smile

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 04-13-2018

That's fine! Applying tiles like those isn't too much of a bother at all!

Anyway, I need to work out the height of the path off the ground when it dips. as much as flat ground is easier to work with, I went with the most interesting route.
[Image: b7TZ0LV.png]
[Image: YWNdZcg.png]
I forgot to mention this in the last image, but which would you like for the border tiles on what I call the transition tab? Should they hang like that, or should I cut them off?
[Image: tKCr9MR.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Q-Nova - 04-13-2018

I agree with what Evil Yoshi Toes said about the refined path. Agree  Anyway, about the path elevation, I think it looks better when it's not all in the same level; both the staircase and rotated approaches look fine to me. For those transition tabs, I'd say it looks better when they're cut off rather than be hanging over.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 04-20-2018

Good call! I finalized those details in the latest update!
[Image: agBh5k1.png]
[Image: DxZzUkM.png]
[Image: Wd2RHcO.png]
[Image: wyT44wj.png]
[Image: ELfmgCC.png]
[Image: oih7uJo.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 04-21-2018

I'm hitting a bit of a roadblock again. Without new information, I can't exactly progress properly. For now, I'm spinning my wheels as I try different things.
[Image: rPR0rIZ.png]
[Image: 8XQ49qz.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 04-28-2018

I got some new updates from the Captain! While there's still a bit left before I need more information, there are what I want to sort out as soon as possible.
[Image: ZKR5jOg.png]
[Image: 6yJcS9X.png]
[Image: mYlj5R6.png]
[Image: MKP5oeh.png]
[Image: 28mJ0b0.png]
[Image: dDIBBfl.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - VinnyVideo - 04-28-2018

I like the way this is shaping up. I think the skybox would work well with this.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-28-2018

Looking good! I don't think the sky box will be too busy, especially if some sort of atmospheric perspective is applied to it. It's really hard to say though until we see how it looks as it would be viewed in the shots.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 05-05-2018

Right, I'll give this a proper sky later and see if the hills work in the end.

For now, I'm working on some staircases that are providing me a bit of trouble. It took me about three or four days to texture this properly, so I'm very uneasy about the others...
[Image: doO9kEU.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 05-07-2018

Well, the new critiques from the Captain arrived not that long ago. Some of them are good suggestions, while others I'm a bit antsy about.
[Image: ZWktj5X.png]

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.