MFGG Forums
Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) (/showthread.php?tid=99)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - GamerInGeorgia - 05-07-2018

I think the staircases look fine, and I think that you should keep the nicks. About the hills, I prefer the new hills. B to be exact. I also prefer the original grass cut-off. All in all, you're doing a great job!

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 05-13-2018

Sure thing! In any case, here's the next update!

[Image: UeIGa0l.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - GamerInGeorgia - 05-13-2018

I prefer the one with an outline on the inside. But, taking a look at the example without an outline, it looks more like a nick in the block than the one with an outline.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 05-14-2018

I'm leaning towards dropping the outline. Still, I have to wait for the Captain to reply to that because I'm trying to explain to her about the cut grass.
[Image: cyTW6zE.png]
[Image: sXf5aOW.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 05-16-2018

I almost got a handle on these paths thanks to the Captain, but I still have a few more pieces to sort out...
[Image: COviUjC.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 05-31-2018

Lord, that staircase took forever due to me trying to experiment with newer techniques... In any case, it's ready now.
[Image: l6Dkp8D.png]
[Image: xVeRAlP.png]
[Image: 84kh2Yu.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 06-14-2018

I'll deal with the other staircases soon, but I want to make sure I got these details relating to the path correct.
[Image: hMVVldA.png]
[Image: 6k1CONi.png]

[Image: PStvRp6.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - GamerInGeorgia - 06-19-2018

Looking at the bridge, I would suggest making it look a little less broken if Mario is going to cross over it (but if he whole point of the bridge is that it's going to fall, then leave it the way it is). As for the dirt, I personally feel that you should make it a bit more noticeable on the sides of the path. And I think having the border stones between the stairs is fine. Good work so far!

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 06-23-2018

Who in the right mind would cross a bridge that rickety? Most people would jump over it, but I'm not against the idea of making collapse. Besides, it's simple enough to rig when the scene calls for that.

Anyway, here's a quick update. I even looked into the dirt around the path.

[Image: MX2gEdq.png]
[Image: TQ1ay8S.png]
[Image: k2AHlj4.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Q-Nova - 06-25-2018

Looking good, E-Man! The bridge is looking nice, I'm looking forward to seeing textures applied to it. For the corner with the grass and rocks interacting, I think stretching the UVs looks more natural than the other option. For the dirt around the path, I think the third one (opacity adjusted) looks the best. Keep up the good work, though!

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 08-16-2018

Thanks a bunch! I took a bit longer to get this new update all set up due to a multitude of reasons, such as traveling in the states for family reasons.

[Image: kxG2NMY.png]
[Image: Q9pDH0r.png]
[Image: bZcDeFY.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Q-Nova - 08-30-2018

You're welcome, E-Man! As for my thoughts on what you've shown on your latest post:
  • I'm kinda confused on what you mean through the first image. Is that how the staircases are going to look in the final or are you having hard with them and decided to fix it later?
  • I think it's fine to reuse the staircase as long it's not too noticeable. Otherwise, applying even subtle changes could work.
  • Most of the grass placements look good, especially 5, 6, 8, 9, and 11. The ones that I think can use some work are 7 and 13; the grass strand at the edge at 7 looks too thin while 13 seem to have a bit too much cutoff.
  • The dirt's looking nice! About the dirt color, I find the blueish color to be kinda interesting (and also a bit more subtle, if that's what you wish), but brown looks more natural to me.
Overall, though, you seemed to do good. Keep it up as usual. Wink

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 09-13-2018

Of course! I took a bit to deal with a project or two, but here we are with all the points you addressed!

[Image: 7BQN4Rx.png]
[Image: k4LQRun.png]
[Image: 2qnWoac.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Q-Nova - 09-16-2018

As usual, here's a list of my thoughts:
  • The grass edges you've shown look much better
  • Ah, so that's you meant by the blocks. Adding planks would be fine, even if they seem purposeless, not that I'd say it's a bad thing, adding things just for the sake of so can be nice and add to the atmosphere if they aren't quite bothersome. I mean, remember those hills with eyes? Now imagine them without eyes. There's still hills, but the atmosphere doesn't feel the same, does it?
  • I never found Mario's hat to look too big, although I do like that hat on the right more.
  • Hm, a secret weapon? Is that something that's in the works or what? Thinking
Good stuff, though!

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 09-21-2018

I'm glad you like the new hat, but the folks on NEXGenSprites prefer the older hat. As for Moap I have yet to hear back from him.

Now, the "secret weapon" still needs a little more development. I can't specifically say what it is, but I'm more willing to share the details once my second animation is ready.
[Image: UcJdu2O.png]
[Image: 1mxXnUF.png]
[Image: kbUtSCM.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Q-Nova - 09-30-2018

My thoughts:
  • I'm alright if the older hat is still used. Smile
  • I think it makes more sense to have the flagpole at the side, although it'd be easier to grab onto the flagpole if it was on the path since the staircase is also on the path. I think the flagpole should line up with the staircase.
  • Eh, I think having the fort cut a tile looks odd. I'd either the fort gets moved or modify the tiles at the part.
  • There should be two pipes at the end as that's more faithful to good old 1-1. I like just having the two pipes glued together more, although the block solution isn't too bad.
  • About the path, either way seems to work.
  • I personally like having the grass cut off the most.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 10-01-2018

I agree with Q-Nova, the fort and flag should probably be off to the side. It looks a little strange seeing them right on the center of the path. 
I like the two pipes, but you should find another way to connect them. It looks weird to have them look like they're just two models placed on each other, so you might consider making them into one model and merging them together more smoothly or something. You could also go all out with the paper aesthetic and make it obvious that they are glued or taped together which might look cool, but it depends on how papery you want to go.
Either path works. The one that comes closer to the bridge looks newer and more intentional while the crumbled one looks more like it did go up to the bridge at one point but it has since crumbled. If you want the place to look more run down then the crumbled would probably work better.
I'd either cut off the grass or shape it in a way that it won't go through the parts where the bridge connects.

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 10-19-2018

Alright, I looked into all those and tried making adjustments.

[Image: image.png]

[Image: image2.png]

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - NaviChan - 10-21-2018

Dude, that's slightly off-topic right now, but you seem to have hella lot o' vertexes there. Me olde computer will really kick the buket whilst running that. Mayhap ye plan to use heightmapped textures to optimize ye roadblocks?

RE: Paper Mario animations (with a vengeance) - E-Man - 10-21-2018

Do you mean the road tiles? In spite of the minor lag that is possibly caused by them, my computer can handle them just fine. I don't intend on placing this in a game because this whole project is an animated fan series. If that's what you're worried about, then have no fear!

Still, I'm considering remaking this set one of these days. Limitations with Maya are why I'm unable to really create the set as I envisioned. Since I created all this progess in Maya, though, it's a shame to swap applications now without something to show for it. After I finish one more short, I'll begin the moving process. Hopefully, my new tools will allow me to apply something like a bump map to a flat, practically seamless road texture instead of modeling all these tiles.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.