[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Introducing the Sony Switch

Regardless of whether this is the PS5 or a new attempt at a Vita, this is awful.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: Sony is Original
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:17 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
KEK

That's some PS Move crap right here. Kinda sad, really.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:20 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
Global Moderator
[T]
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Wowwwwwwwwwwww

That's all I can say

Also I have to bring up that PS Move was a bad ripoff of the Wii, so I guess this is their bad Switch ripoff

EDIT: ninja'd

Image Image
Bibby Team | My Website

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:58 pm 
good stuff
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The Nintendo Switch except bad.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sony does what Nintendoes.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:39 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Nintendo wasn't the first company to think of the idea of attaching controllers to a tablet, you know. There were controllers that connected to phones as far back as 5 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-HA74MwVug

And for tablets, just search "tablet controller" on Amazon. There are tons of them. And yes, they predate the announcement of the Switch. Here's a review of an arbitrary one from almost two years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B00RE6FMD8

So yeah, Sony is unoriginal. But so is Nintendo. Being the 50th company to do something is not a big step up from being the 51st company to do it.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:54 pm 
Global Moderator
[T]
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Yeah, onpon, but there's kind of a difference in the Switch and some android/iOS tablet attachment.

The Switch is designed to be used in more than one mode; it's a replacement for both portable and stationary hardware. It is indeed a pretty new idea, both in the PC/tablet market and in the computer hardware market in general. The closest thing so far is 2-in-1 laptops which are still just portable devices that you can change into another portable mode.

Then Sony patents this, which is to the Switch what Sport Vii was to the Wii: an aesthetic ripoff that doesn't do what the original does.

Image Image
Bibby Team | My Website

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:26 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
The Switch and attaching controllers to a smartphone are hardly related concepts.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:30 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
The Switch is designed to be used in more than one mode; it's a replacement for both portable and stationary hardware.

It's just an HDMI and charging dock. You could literally make one yourself if you really wanted to just by gluing a couple cables in the right spot to a piece of wood. Of course, no one does this because it's not really any more convenient than a simple HDMI cable.

Quote:
The closest thing so far is 2-in-1 laptops

No, the closest thing is any portable device that has an HDMI port or other TV-out port. That's pretty much any tablet in existence, as well as devices like the OpenPandora and GCW Zero. The OpenPandora even predates tablets.

Quote:
Then Sony patents this

You're focusing on the wrong detail. That it's Sony is irrelevant. Patents are a mess in general, and the only ones who win in the patent system are patent trolls. Nintendo probably has patents that are just as ridiculous, if not more so, but I would highly recommend against researching this, because knowing about a patent makes you much more liable if you infringe it. (Personal suggestion, not legal advice. IANAL.)

Basically, it's standard practice to patent everything possible if you're a big company. A lot of the time, these patents are just used defensively, to e.g. force a cross-licensing deal if someone threatens a patent lawsuit.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 pm 
Global Moderator
[T]
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Quote:
It's just an HDMI and charging dock. You could literally make one yourself if you really wanted to just by gluing a couple cables in the right spot to a piece of wood. Of course, no one does this because it's not really any more convenient than a simple HDMI cable.

I don't know of a single tablet that has HDMI output. I'm not super into tablets and so I don't know the market extremely well, but I own a Nexus 10, my nephew has had several android tablets, and I've known a few iPad owners in my day and none of them have had HDMI output. I'm sure they exist and probably even in big numbers, but that's not exactly the most common feature in tablets. The fact that the Switch has HDMI output is just one way it stands out from your average tablet (though maybe not your average gaming tablet). The OS is another, and the exclusive controllers a third.

Quote:
No, the closest thing is any portable device that has an HDMI port or other TV-out port.

Yeah I guess you're right, though this makes it way easier and more natural and accessible to the average person. That's a difference, to my mind.

Quote:
Basically, it's standard practice to patent everything possible if you're a big company.

It is. And here Sony is, patenting something very similar to the latest hottest product of one of their only two competitors in this field.

Image Image
Bibby Team | My Website

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:55 pm 
SnoPINGAS usually Icee
[*]
Cannot wait until the xbox switch!

GOTTA GO FAST IN SONIC THE WEBSITE!
CHECK OUT MY OTHER ACCOUNTS!

Deviantart: TheVideoGameFanatic2234 http://thatgamerguy2234.deviantart.com

Furaffinity: ThatGamerGuy2234 http://www.furaffinity.net/user/thatgamerguy2234

InkBunny: ThatGamerGuy2234 https://inkbunny.net/ThatGamerguy2234

Spongebob Community: Spemgeburb https://www.thesbcommunity.com/profile/3722-spemgeburb/

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:30 pm 
I'll see you all at 3:15!
[*]
[*]
[*]
The Sony, er... Playstation Swap!

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:09 pm 
Astral Observer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Can't wait for them to drag it out at a future E3 and talk about it like it was a brilliant original idea.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 am 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
I don't know of a single tablet that has HDMI output.

Huh, my bad. I must have misunderstood whoever I got that idea from. (There are tablets with HDMI out, though; of course, it's the mini version since full HDMI is too big.)

Quote:
And here Sony is, patenting something very similar to the latest hottest product of one of their only two competitors in this field.

That would be because they're developing a similar product. Didn't someone mention something about Nintendo doing the same thing with the Switch (back before the name of the system was announced)? If that's the case (and I tend to believe it is), then Nintendo is no more in the right for doing so than Sony is.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:42 pm 
good stuff
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Well isn't there is also the fact that it is coming out like right after the Nintendo switch, which is a huge huge deal, is announced? Or maybe I don't know enough about how these things work.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:24 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
What, like how Nintendo decided to develop the SNES when they saw the Mega Drive gaining popularity?

There's nothing abnormal or wrong about "following the leader", as it were.

[au]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:53 pm 
Astral Observer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It's bad press regardless when it comes to people who follow the gaming industry trends, the general public doesn't know or care however. The Playstation Move never took off because nobody really took it seriously as anything other than a Wiimote Clone to edge in on the market that Nintendo had created, and it wasn't introduced with the PS3 but was an addon that came much later. This would be no different if it ever came to be a product. You can't follow in popular footsteps so soon and expect people to take it as anything other than a "me too" cash grab. Look how long it took for FPS games to not be labelled "Doom Clones" in the early 90's, original ideas or not.

The difference between Nintendo devoping a new console in response to a shifting market with the SNES and this Sony patent is that Nintendo had already established themselves as a console gaming company and consoles weren't a new idea to the mass consumer market. The SNES was simply the next step in that to the general public. This patent by Sony is undeniably their response to the Switch entirely, and regardless what came before it, the Switch is going to be far more popular simply because it's a brand new product with a clear idea from the start about what it is and who it's marketed towards, totally original idea or not, and Sony's patent is all because it has investors that it wants to keep happy.

IF it ever becomes a serious product, it will be almost impossible for everyday people to label it anything other than a Switch clone no matter how you spin it or what products came before due to the Switch being the first of its kind to appeal to the mass general public as a whole, and it'll probably have the same troubles at enticing developers as the PSMove Wand did unless it happens to be launching a brand new product such as a PSVita successor which I find highly unlikely.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:04 pm 
I'm stuck in 2002
OH WOW

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:31 pm 
There's no such thing as bad publicity for Sony anymore. Whatever publicity gets them the money, good or bad, they might try it.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 19 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic