Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next  [ 168 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: what should the main site's new layout be?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:44 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
Administrator
[T]
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mit wrote:
E-Man wrote:
EDIT: Actually, now that I look at my post again, I said "you." Due to a quirk in the English language, "you" could mean not only a single person, but also at least two. This still don't exactly excuse my mistake (especially when I could have said "you guys"), but it's just food for thought. Also, I know that Mors did the work, but you had a bit of a hand in it yourself, really.

please stop badgering me about this when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. i had no hand at any point in the creation of that design.

Let's cool it down some, guys.

I think what E-Man was saying is that it was ambiguous who his post was directed at, and also that "you had a bit of a hand in it yourself, really" because you created the banner. I'm not here to pick either side on how accurate this is, but it's not worth escalating over.

Image Image
Bibby Team | My Website

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:07 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
Update!
But there are some things I need to mention.

• The icons are placeholders and navbar texts aren't centered properly because I'm lazy lol
  • I also think making the hills part of the background veeeerry slowly would be cool too, and that can be done easily with CSS.
  • There would be some parallax scrolling as well. The black part would scroll slowest, and the blue part would scroll a bit faster.
    But, this would require jQuery and a small amount of JavaScript code, CSS wouldn't be very reliable for this kind of parallax scrolling. So I'd understand if this doesn't get implemented.
  • Also some Material Design like ripple effects for the navigation bar buttons, but that also requires jQuery.
  • Navigation bar items would have a 4 or 6 pixel gap between the items, but that would be invisible.
  • The ad banner would be at the bottom of the page just like in the current forums.

Better, but aside from the background it's still missing a bit of personality. The icons could do with being Mario related for example and I'd like to see how it'd handle sections such as blocks of news etc. I'd still like to see a pipe used as the header for pages because it's been a thing here since the beginning.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:15 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Kritter wrote:
Better, but aside from the background it's still missing a bit of personality. The icons could do with being Mario related for example
If I make the icons Mario related then no one will understand what they mean.
Kritter wrote:
I'd like to see how it'd handle sections such as blocks of news etc. I'd still like to see a pipe used as the header for pages because it's been a thing here since the beginning.
I'm already planning to do that but I'm not 100% sure if that will work well with the current style.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 pm 
SnoPINGAS usually Icee
[*]
[*]
I feel like it should be red instead of blue...or red and blue....to mach Mario's overall outfit.

GOTTA GO FAST IN SONIC THE WEBSITE!
CHECK OUT MY OTHER ACCOUNTS!

Deviantart: TheVideoGameFanatic2234 http://thatgamerguy2234.deviantart.com

Furaffinity: ThatGamerGuy2234 http://www.furaffinity.net/user/thatgamerguy2234

InkBunny: ThatGamerGuy2234 https://inkbunny.net/ThatGamerguy2234

Spongebob Community: Spemgeburb https://www.thesbcommunity.com/profile/3722-spemgeburb/

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Red proved to be way too garish back in the day as a default theme. I suppose it could work if a minor part of it was red, but the old Ezboard (and website?) were fully red. I made the decision to change the themes to blue when I redesigned them way back in the day because it was far easier on the eyes and it's kind of stuck around since then.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:55 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think the blue is fine because the red aspects of the logo and mario himself become more emphasized, since it's bright red against a dark blue.

[tr]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:31 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

We can add variations of the main theme with different colors, and with different characters.

Also, here's a parallax scrolling test!!!! (only for 1080p monitors sorry) (F11 is recommended to get rid of scrollbars)

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:26 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Personally not a fan of unnecessary things like that on websites.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 pm 
Administrator
[T]
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Wow dude

I am impressed.

I like it a lot. If everyone generally likes it, we should do it.

Image Image
Bibby Team | My Website

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:06 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It both doesn't add much to the site and makes it very slow

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This was my hastily thrown together interpretation of Mors's basic design, dunno about the red bars and coloured logo, they're not easy on the eyes, and I don't have time to make it fancy at the moment. I just wanted to see how it'd look with a bit more colour thrown in.

The basic idea is when you scroll down, the top bar remains on the top, always visible, and just resizes a few elements to take up less vertical realestate. For the most part though, the design is the same.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Kirby's Adventure wrote:
It both doesn't add much to the site and makes it very slow
That mockup was made in GameMaker.
I'll also probably simplify it a bit.
Kritter wrote:
This was my hastily thrown together interpretation of Mors's basic design, dunno about the red bars and coloured logo, they're not easy on the eyes, and I don't have time to make it fancy at the moment. I just wanted to see how it'd look with a bit more colour thrown in.

The basic idea is when you scroll down, the top bar remains on the top, always visible, and just resizes a few elements to take up less vertical realestate. For the most part though, the design is the same.
Wow, this looks pretty good. You're clearly much more talented than me! But there are still a few things that bother me.
Like how the colorful logo, stars at the background, and the tone of the blue makes the site look very childish, at least to me. I also think that making the top bar always stay at top isn't really the best idea since it doesn't have anything really useful in it. In my design I planned to keep the navbar at the top of the screen instead.
But it's still a really good design. I'll steal several ideas from it for sure, just like how I stole ideas from Mit's one.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i like kritter's design a lot too, though just as a nitpick mario would probably look best if he were bigger and instead cut off by the bottom of the top banner.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 pm 
HAHAHA I KNEW IT
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
The basic idea is when you scroll down, the top bar remains on the top, always visible

I really like it when forums do this. It makes browsing much easier.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:38 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
Like how the colorful logo, stars at the background, and the tone of the blue makes the site look very childish, at least to me. I also think that making the top bar always stay at top isn't really the best idea since it doesn't have anything really useful in it. In my design I planned to keep the navbar at the top of the screen instead.
But it's still a really good design. I'll steal several ideas from it for sure, just like how I stole ideas from Mit's one.

I think the overall design (in terms of colour scheme) is a bit childish but I haven't had a good whack at it yet, it was literally made in 20 minutes while my child was watching Youtube videos. If I can be bothered, i'll take a crack at doing it up a bit. The blues for the most part were colour picked from the main site, but could probably stand to be a bit darker like the forums are currently. The background being blue is a throwback to my original MFGG design which had a blue background instead of a black one, but if I had more time I'd go for a look that didn't feel like a child's night light.

I personally like when the navbar remains up the top, it makes navigation a little easier, and makes searching for things easier than having to scroll up and find the search bar. There's also the possibility MFGG might incorporate "infinite scrolling" instead of pages which would mean you wouldn't need to scroll all the way back up just to navigate to another page. I could mockup how it would look mid-scroll later just to show what I'm envisioning.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:08 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Here's a quick V2 of my idea while I have the time. Background isn't mine but it's just there for the idea.

I imagine there would be the option to view updates and pages in either grid view or list view, depending what you prefer. F

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 am 
Administrator
[T]
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So I looked at Mors' design on my phone last night. With it way zoomed in, you could really see everything scrolling. It looked super pretty.

On a big monitor though, I can't really tell.

@Kritter, your V2 is the best one so far. I'm not sure how I feel about the red nav bar though. It comes off as more of a salmon color.

Also yeah the navbar sticking to the top was a thing in my HTML mockup, I like the idea too.

Image Image
Bibby Team | My Website

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm 
HAHAHA I KNEW IT
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I like the red, personally. Maybe the color could be tweaked, but some sort of reddish color constrasts the blue very nicely. The update cards could be a bit more condensed, though. A lot of space is wasted in between them.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think the background should be starry-night themed, being a galaxy dedicated to fan games and all.

Also red navbar seems like a nice idea.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Spoiler:

That looks really good; I could have this design in a future update, except with more detail and less bland flat blue boxes.

Spoiler:

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next  [ 168 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic