Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 52 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Super Mario Country, Old school GameBoy action!
 [at]
 Post subject: Super Mario Country
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:57 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]

Hello, community! I think I have started working on this game some time after I put The Next Levels on ice... so its origins date way back to ancient times as well. But just like The Next Levels, I just couldn't let this project die! Demotivated to work on every other project I looked through my folder of projects on ice and found this gem lying around. I knew I had to finish this. I got motivated again and eventually finished it - and here it is: Super Mario Country - a gameboy-styled Super Mario Land 2 fangame! The game doesn't feature any collectibles but has lots of cool little secrets in the levels for you to find. The game initially started out as a simple SML fangame with a few levels in the graphical style of SML2, but with the addition of a world map and a lot more it quickly became a lot bigger than planned at first! Without further ado, here is a download link for you:

>>Download<<

The Controls
Arrow Keys - Move
Z - Run
X - Jump
Enter - Pause
Backspace while paused - Back to world map

The Zones
Open the spoilers for a brief description of the zone and a few screenshots! Which one sounds the most appealing?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Enjoy! I hope you like the game!

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
 Post subject: Re: Super Mario Country
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:28 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
It sounds interesting, although to be honest, I'm not a fan of how many ideas seem to be taken straight from the original Super Mario Land 2. Don't know, just... doesn't seem right for a Mario game to have about half the bosses and world concepts returning, especially not one designed like it's from the days before New Super Mario Bros became a thing.

But the levels and graphics look nice. The new ideas sound nice (such as the thunder mountain, stone piranha thing, Shy Guy villain, etc). And given how much nostalgia I still have for Super Mario Land 2 on the original Game Boy, I know I'll be trying this game out when it's actually released (even in the form of a demo).

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:34 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
CM30 wrote:
It sounds interesting, although to be honest, I'm not a fan of how many ideas seem to be taken straight from the original Super Mario Land 2. Don't know, just... doesn't seem right for a Mario game to have about half the bosses and world concepts returning, especially not one designed like it's from the days before New Super Mario Bros became a thing.

But the levels and graphics look nice. The new ideas sound nice (such as the thunder mountain, stone piranha thing, Shy Guy villain, etc). And given how much nostalgia I still have for Super Mario Land 2 on the original Game Boy, I know I'll be trying this game out when it's actually released (even in the form of a demo).
The full game is out already, check the first post again. I only recycled bosses due to the lack of sprites, their attack patterns are entirely different in this game.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:44 pm 
I Have Returned®
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm loving the graphics. Let's see the music when I finish downloading.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:57 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

So far I've played the first two levels, and I'm liking what I'm seeing. It might be because of the scanlines, but this feels a lot like an actual Game Boy game! Also a very interesting choice of music for the invincibility theme :D

One thing I noticed though: when fireballs hit the top of a corner of a pipe or the ground, it disappears as if it hit the side of it. Not a major problem, though.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:58 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
wow this is bad :^)

Nah I kid. I might have to download this, it looks good.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:02 pm 
I Have Returned®
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I am greeted with an error on the music DLLs, I think that is normal and I just need to restart my computer, but I don't know,
also the Final Boss music is GXSCC :P

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:36 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
lu9 wrote:
I am greeted with an error on the music DLLs, I think that is normal and I just need to restart my computer, but I don't know,
Thou shalt not investigate the music folder!

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:56 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
CM30 wrote:

The full game is out already, check the first post again. I only recycled bosses due to the lack of sprites, their attack patterns are entirely different in this game.

Oh sorry, didn't see that download link. I'll try it tomorrow, and maybe have a review when my fan game reviewing site/blog is back online.

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Super Mario Land 2 is probably my fave Game Boy game and 2D platformer so I'll have to check this out.

waa

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:00 pm 
Based Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
lu9 wrote:
Thou shalt not investigate the music folder!

To be fair it isn't bad for a GSXCC mix.

Though I think a mix made with FamiTracker (2 pulse + noise + 1 Namco 163 channels) would be more suited for a Game Boy-esque fan game.

Last edited by Cap'n Coconuts on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Mario Fan Game Idea Generator

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm 
Astral Observer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Everything seems rather washed out, like the "blacks" aren't black enough

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 pm 
I Have Returned®
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
this is because it is a game boy styled game.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:42 pm 
Astral Observer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Still looks more washed out than other Game Boy games i've seen.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Try playing with scanlines disabled then

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm 
Astral Observer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

DJ Coco wrote:
Kritter wrote:
Try playing with scanlines disabled then

For my eyes that is definitely better

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm 
I Have Returned®
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Maybe he thinks Game Boy games are fully black and white, like on emulators but they're not.
I don't see anything strange on the graphics IMO, and I think the scan lines give a nice touch...

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 pm 
Astral Observer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Maybe he thinks scanlines make it look washed out and prefers it without? Maybe that's why it was an option in the game to disable them? Maybe.

Here's a comparison of how it affects the dark colour

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:14 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I like both styles with and without scanlines. I can see why you like either style, but I personally think scanlines feels more authentic, whereas without feels more like an emulator.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:49 pm 
Based Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think I preferred Guinea's pixel effect in his competition entry over these scanlines.

The Mario Fan Game Idea Generator

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 52 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic