[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Come one, come all, to the new development topic for Mario's Sticker Stage. I've been showing off a bunch of screenshots in the W.I.P. Topic, mostly because I hadn't been actually making "real" progress on the game. But now I'm moving forward pretty well, finally moving on to adding attacks, so here's the official topic!

Have some screenshots you may or may not have already seen.
Spoiler:

So what is Mario's Sticker Stage?
It's a survival-endurance kinda thing. I suppose the closest thing to compare it to would be The Mercenaries from Resident Evil? Anyway, it takes inspiration from the Paper Mario series, specifically The Thousand-Year Door, Sticker Star, and Colour Splash.

You play as Mario, fighting your way through round after round of RPG battle against semi-random enemies that get tougher the farther in you go. You use Stickers to attack, and you purchase Stickers with coins earned by clearing rounds, defeating enemies, and impressing the audience. You can purchase upgrades between rounds using Star Points, which you mainly get from the audience watching you fight. The more impressive you are, the more you earn! The goal is to see how far you can get in the time given!

Along the way there's a bunch of other things that could happen - Bonus Rounds with special conditions, boss battles that test your mettle, and maybe even the audience might turn against you!

I don't know when a playable demo will be available (though certainly not very soon, I can tell ya that much), but feel free to ask questions about the game here, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Mario's Sticker Stage! Dev. Topic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:42 pm 
Great Time Champion
Global Moderator
[M]
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Can't say that I have good feelings about it being based off of Sticker Star and all, but it at least sounds more robust. I guess I can't really say for sure without having played it.

However, the visuals are looking quite nice, I'll tell ya that!

Discord Groups
Image | Image
Projects
Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:18 am 
Your local psychic.
Global Moderator
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I totally understand if people are somewhat apprehensive about this; I mean, even I didn't really like Sticker Star all that much.

But I've always felt that Sticker Star had a good idea, trapped by poor execution. I'm hoping the changes I make and the things I keep are generally for the better.

EDIT: Here's a trio of related screenies.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It sure looks purdy. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Want to help make Career Fantasy a reality? I'm still looking for sprite help and a few more compositions for the soundtrack. If you're interested, please shoot me a PM.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:52 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
>No influence from Super Paper Mario
This game is gonna suck

Nah, looks good. I'm interested in trying this out.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:44 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

The game is looking really neat, Zero Kirby! Though, there is a couple things that I would like to say. First, I noticed that the book in the main menu is in a different resolution when compared to the other parts of the visuals (it is most easily noticeable at the edges). Second, out of curiosity, are the numbers that are floating in the sky during in-game for debugging purposes or no?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:19 pm 
Your local psychic.
Global Moderator
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Q-Nova wrote:
The game is looking really neat, Zero Kirby! Though, there is a couple things that I would like to say. First, I noticed that the book in the main menu is in a different resolution when compared to the other parts of the visuals (it is most easily noticeable at the edges). Second, out of curiosity, are the numbers that are floating in the sky during in-game for debugging purposes or no?

The random number floating around on the right side of the screen is for debug. Basically it tells me what "phase" combat is in. Phase5 means Mario's attacking the enemy, for example.

It's just helping me keep track of what's working.

As for the main menu book, yeah, I just doubled the size of the original book sprite and edited that. I'll most likely fix it later.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:06 pm 
Jammin' with Luigi and Tails
[*]
[*]
[*]
Nice to see this game come back. Love the graphical improvements, especially to the character sprites. Hopefully this game will be more fun than Sticker Star was.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:12 pm 
Your local psychic.
Global Moderator
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I sure hope so too. I already think I'm doing a better thing by letting you actually pick which target your attack hits.

Oh yeah. And different Audience members react differently to your attacks. Yoshis love Jump Stickers, Toads just like Mario all around, and Goombas hate Jump Stickers.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:37 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
yeah i think this game definitely already looks to be an improvement on the brain dead sticker star formula, and its also just gorgeous. can't wait to see more and more progress.

waa

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:43 am 
Your local psychic.
Global Moderator
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
One more quick screenshot for now before I go to bed.

Yep, that thar's a Line Jump. All of the Jump Stickers in their basest form (that is to say, not Shiny or whatever) have been programmed - I just need to assign damage values and whatnot (not to mention what happens if you try to stomp a spiked baddie). I also decided to make the Audience transparent if they start jumping high enough to obscure the stage.

Four down, twelve to go!

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:59 pm 
Seer of Doom
[*]
It's been a while since I've heard of this idea. Nice to see it's going to take flight. The audience will shuffle around, have different members? I mean, I'd love to see a Boo appear between the seats. What would it like/dislike to see? ^-^

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:11 pm 
Your local psychic.
Global Moderator
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
WWpl4y3r wrote:
It's been a while since I've heard of this idea. Nice to see it's going to take flight. The audience will shuffle around, have different members? I mean, I'd love to see a Boo appear between the seats. What would it like/dislike to see? ^-^

I'll probably have Boos in the audience, but I likely won't make them randomly turn someone on the stage invisible like they did in The Thousand-Year Door.

As for what they do and don't like, that's somethin' you'll have to wait and play the game once it's ready to find out!

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[ph]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:05 am 
A fox with class
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm not really a fan of survival-endurance games but I'm willing to this give one a shot! Great job right there, Zero Kirby. The hud is looking quite empty though

Minus World Secret Santa Gifts: 2011- Dane
MFGG Secret Santa Gifts: 2012- McKnackus I ~ 2015-LuNiney ~ 2016-Mors 1 2

Refs drawn/sprited by other MFGG Members:
Doc ~ DragezeeY ~ Friendly Dictator ~ Mit ~ Wiwa

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:44 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I've already said this before, but I am really digging the aesthetics of this game. I'm also interested to see how you'll fix the Sticker Star formula to make it, you know, good.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:41 pm 
EXPECTED TTYD HD TOO BAD WALUIGI TIME
Looks like a improvement on most of the things I disliked about sticker stars battle system, good job!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:56 pm 
Your local psychic.
Global Moderator
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Myte wrote:
I'm not really a fan of survival-endurance games but I'm willing to this give one a shot! Great job right there, Zero Kirby. The hud is looking quite empty though

The HUD may be a little minimalistic, but it's got everything you need to know during gameplay. 'Sides, some of that empty space can be filled in with extra Sticker Slots. (Which actually work now - hooray!)

I'm also interested to see how you'll fix the Sticker Star formula to make it, you know, good.

The biggest difference is the pure focus on combat, dropping the inventory management and weird puzzle-solving, which I think were the two weakest aspects of Sticker Star. Hopefully with that change, and making skilful combat actually rewarding, it'll be much more fun.

(Though since the reward for doing well is getting to do more, like a lot of arcade games, so if you don't like the game, you probably won't find it very rewarding!)

Bosses aren't going to be like they were in Sticker Star, either, by the way. You're not gonna have to make sure you've got the appropriate instant-win Sticker in order to defeat the boss. They'll be more like previous Paper Mario boss fights - strong enemies with some switch-ups in how they attack, with maybe an optimal strategy, but the main difficulty, I think, will come from trying to beat them as quickly as possible - you're timed, after all!

Speaking of being timed, I'm thinking about the whole between rounds upgrade thing. And what I'm thinking of is letting the player spend some of their Star Points to purchase extra time to play with - of course, like other upgrades, these extra bits of time will cost more and more each time you buy one. It's a thought I had, anyway, as opposed to only rewarding extra time with Perfect Bonuses.

(The game's also set up to let you finish your current attack when you run out of time.)

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:40 pm 
Your local psychic.
Global Moderator
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It's been a bit because I've been working on sprites for the Hammer attacks but hey look at this neat logo:

Thanks to BMSaints' SMB3 logo font thing. It's nice.

And hey some title screen music too. http://vocaroo.com/i/s05XFXwJPgtc

I'd be surprised if anybody knew what that's from, honestly.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:43 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It sounds like it's from some obscure Sonic game

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:00 pm 
Your local psychic.
Global Moderator
[M]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
It sounds like it's from some obscure Sonic game

Nope.

The game itself is fairly obscure though. At least, I think it is. I don't really see a lot of people talking about it.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 31 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic