Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 29 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Hello Tux Engine, A copyright-free revamp of Hello Engine
Author Message
 [zz]
 Post subject: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 am 
User avatar
Member
[*]
~Hello Tux Engine~

Welcome to the forum page for the Hello Tux Engine! It is a conversion of Hello Mario Engine to use the characters and aesthetic of SuperTux. Now people will have many premade assets available to make their own game with.

Story
One time, I sent an email to Nintendo to ask if I was allowed to make a fangame. The answer was no. Then I realized that if I replaced the graphics and sound, there would really be nothing to worry about anyways. Thus, the was born.

How You Can Help (Phase 1 and 2)
-Make a sprite for the "sprite" section of the source, which contains Tux, enemies, items, fonts, and other miscellaneous things.
-

Style Guide
Since this project is meant to provide an appealing alternative resource set for Hello Mario Engine, I have tried to implement a style for each of the game's graphics. This game's graphics shall use this 16-color palette.
Image
Also, please make your sprites appear as 3D as they should be (for example, a brick looks "beveled" and square-shaped, an egg looks round, grass and sand are randomly speckled (one can use noise plugins in graphics software to achieve this, as I have) a tree has grooves on the trunk, a cave's walls look lumpy, etc.) , color each area with 3 colors (even if it's metal) and outline your sprites with the middle shade that you are using, instead of using no-outline, sel-out, or a dark/black outline.
Image
But don't worry too much about being perfect, because the open-source format means that anyone can do what they deem necessary to polish up a graphic!

Phases
Phase 1: Sprite replacement - Started
Phase 2: Tile replacement - Started
Phase 3: Background Replacement - Not started
Phase 4: Music and sound effect Replacement - Started
Phase 5: Code and comment Replacement (using FAR and Notepad++) - Started

Previews
http://imgur.com/a/7EEGS - First Sprite Showcase

GitHub
https://github.com/P-Star7/Hello-Tux-Engine

Suggestion Box
https://github.com/P-Star7/Hello-Tux-Engine/wiki/Suggestion-Box


Last edited by P-Star7 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:53 am, edited 8 times in total.
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:31 am 
User avatar
バットマンが死んだ
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Quote:
One time, I sent an email to Nintendo to ask if I was allowed to make a fangame. The answer was no.

uh oh, better close up shop guys, the big n has spoken and it's only a matter of time before they start patrolling the site

_________________
Image
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:26 am 
User avatar
Member
[*]
Vimimin wrote:
Quote:
One time, I sent an email to Nintendo to ask if I was allowed to make a fangame. The answer was no.

uh oh, better close up shop guys, the big n has spoken and it's only a matter of time before they start patrolling the site

Yeah, everyone knows that's not true. But look at AM2R, he put 8 years into that and he got shut down after it started to pick up steam. And what about Pokémon Uranium and Pokémon Prism? I don't like to say this at all, but no fangame is necessarily sacred to Nintendo. What about No Mario's Sky, which was made in 72 hours using custom-made Mario assets? It was still DMCA'ed. It seems that these fangames get DMCA'ed once they get too popular. It's clear that Nintendo views fangames as the enemy. So if you have to make a game based on another property, wouldn't you want to do it to a property like SuperTux that is free to use anyways? That's why I made the Hello Engine into a SuperTux engine anyways, because I can't think of an original idea, and it pays tribute to the SuperTux team's game that has been going for over 10 years now. This engine will take the easy Hello Mario Engine codebase, which is easier to start out with than C++, and allow people to make derivative works of it for any reason and any purpose. Even though it uses the original Hello Engine mechanics, I am thinking of switching a lot of them up if I make a SuperTux fangame, which this engine allows me to do. Nintendo can't say that you're using their assets that they commissioned for their usage only. Nintendo can't say that you're ruining any attempt of theirs to port their games to the PC, Mac, Linux, etc. because you're devaluing Mario games. Nintendo can't accuse you of using their property to give you a reputation so that you can bolster your original paid game, or that you're using their property to prop up a lousy game.

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:03 am 
User avatar
HAHAHA I KNEW IT
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

P-Star7 wrote:
because you're devaluing Mario games.

That may be their reason, but it is objectively false.

P-Star7 wrote:
So if you have to make a game based on another property, wouldn't you want to do it to a property like SuperTux that is free to use anyways?

No. I do not make fangames because I want to make a game based on an existing source, I make fangames because I want to make a Mario game. Or I want to make a Pokemon game. Or a Fallout: Equestria game.

P-Star7 wrote:
But look at AM2R, he put 8 years into that and he got shut down after it started to pick up steam. And what about Pokémon Uranium and Pokémon Prism? What about No Mario's Sky, which was made in 72 hours using custom-made Mario assets? It was still DMCA'ed. It seems that these fangames get DMCA'ed once they get too popular.

Pkmn Uranium, AM2R, and No Mario's Sky (as well as others such as Zelda Maker, Mairo Maker, etc.) were all fangames which got the media's attention. DMCAs are expensive and a hassle, so Nintendo only DMCAs mainstream games. More often they simply ask a file hoster like Game Jolt or Google Drive to take down the download. They usually ask YouTube to take down the corresponding trailer, too.

_________________
Image
My mains
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [tr]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:25 am 
User avatar
jojojo
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sorry to burst your bubble, but your fangame probably won't be as popular as AM2R if you have to use Hello Engine to make it.

_________________
Image
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:41 am 
User avatar
もう帰らない
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
wouldn't you want to do it to a property like SuperTux that is free to use anyways?

If that is your only reason for using Tux, that is shallow.

You do realize that Tux doesn't come from SuperTux, right? He's the Linux mascot. SuperTux adopted him as the main character because it's an open source game for GNU/Linux, so it made sense. What sense does it make to use the Linux mascot in a game made with Game Maker primarily for Windows?

Also, you're making new sprites anyway, so why not just make your own characters?

Of course, though, I still think it would be more worthwhile to contribute to (or make a skin for) PGE. That would actually be useful. Or you could just help improve SuperTux's in-game level editor.

_________________
https://onpon4.github.io
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:20 pm 
User avatar
Member
[*]
Willsaber wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:
because you're devaluing Mario games.

That may be their reason, but it is objectively false.

P-Star7 wrote:
So if you have to make a game based on another property, wouldn't you want to do it to a property like SuperTux that is free to use anyways?

No. I do not make fangames because I want to make a game based on an existing source, I make fangames because I want to make a Mario game. Or I want to make a Pokemon game. Or a Fallout: Equestria game.

P-Star7 wrote:
But look at AM2R, he put 8 years into that and he got shut down after it started to pick up steam. And what about Pokémon Uranium and Pokémon Prism? What about No Mario's Sky, which was made in 72 hours using custom-made Mario assets? It was still DMCA'ed. It seems that these fangames get DMCA'ed once they get too popular.

Pkmn Uranium, AM2R, and No Mario's Sky (as well as others such as Zelda Maker, Mairo Maker, etc.) were all fangames which got the media's attention. DMCAs are expensive and a hassle, so Nintendo only DMCAs mainstream games. More often they simply ask a file hoster like Game Jolt or Google Drive to take down the download. They usually ask YouTube to take down the corresponding trailer, too.

Yeah, I'm sorry about this, but the ball is in Nintendo's court. If you think your cause is worthy enough, you could go to their support website, select Corporate, then Legal, then use the email option. But if they say no, then that is their legally binding stance. And that's what I'm saying about the media. If it being a fangame causes it to have a cap on how popular it can be before Nintendo stops development, then that doesn't sound at all like what I'd want to develop. Games are meant to be developed to the best of your ability and played by as many people as possible that like it, not just left in a niche site because it's a Nintendo IP.

Mors wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but your fangame probably won't be as popular as AM2R if you have to use Hello Engine to make it.

My game, probably. But what about Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, and Mario Builder? Those games definitely deserved their popular reputation.

onpon4 wrote:
Quote:
wouldn't you want to do it to a property like SuperTux that is free to use anyways?

If that is your only reason for using Tux, that is shallow.

You do realize that Tux doesn't come from SuperTux, right? He's the Linux mascot. SuperTux adopted him as the main character because it's an open source game for GNU/Linux, so it made sense. What sense does it make to use the Linux mascot in a game made with Game Maker primarily for Windows?

Also, you're making new sprites anyway, so why not just make your own characters?

Of course, though, I still think it would be more worthwhile to contribute to (or make a skin for) PGE. That would actually be useful. Or you could just help improve SuperTux's in-game level editor.

Yeah, sorry for forgetting to reply to you on FreeGameDev. The reason I'm using Game Maker is because for me, it makes sense to use a useful engine like Game Maker with the useful Hello Mario Engine to add to it. The physics, the camera, etc. are all there. I could go in any direction I wanted in 2D Mario because of it. Since I'm not intending to go into a technical career, the extra rigor needed to learn C++ or such all just to end up at the same area that I would be at if I just used Game Maker from the start doesn't seem worth it to me. I understand it's a great thinking exercise, but this really isn't the area in which I want to have one of those. I understand that those options are open-source, but handing over my right to view and recompile the Game Maker Studio code seems like a worthwhile sacrifice. I honestly don't think they're doing anything weird so far, but I understand that they could do so. I guess I picked my grave in that case. At least the actual game parts that I'm using are all open-source.

In other news, I've finally got the source code onto GitHub! So everyone can view what I've done so far and upload their own graphics to the outlines folder! Also check out the bonus folder which has assets that are not used in the main Hello Engine, but are great to use when modifying it!

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:11 pm 
User avatar
もう帰らない
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
If I may be blunt:

1. Do you have any idea how much time it will take for you to replace over 2,000 images and 100 audio files, not to mention the time you've already wasted renaming resources in Hello Engine?
2. Do you have any idea how little time it would take you to learn enough to make either SuperTux, The Secret Chronicles of Dr. M, or ReTux suit your needs? (Not to mention, if you wanted to do that with ReTux, I would just straight-up give you the password to it without charging you.)
3. Do you have any idea how far PGE has come and how capable SMBX (which PGE is designed to be compatible with) is as a Mario engine?

Your stated motivation (which is just a long-winded way of saying "laziness") just doesn't make sense given all of these points. The way I see it, you have four options that are both easier and more worthwhile than what you have chosen to do. The only downside to any of these is that you have to learn another programming language and game engine to program for them, but if you are unwilling to learn new programming languages, why do you want to do any programming at all? Why not just contribute art or whatever it is that you actually want to do to an existing project?

Even if you just want specific changes and aren't willing to learn the language so you can do it yourself, you can hire a programmer to do so. Heck, I would probably accept the job personally, especially if it was for ReTux.

_________________
https://onpon4.github.io
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:29 pm 
User avatar
Member
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
If I may be blunt:

1. Do you have any idea how much time it will take for you to replace over 2,000 images and 100 audio files, not to mention the time you've already wasted renaming resources in Hello Engine?
2. Do you have any idea how little time it would take you to learn enough to make either SuperTux, The Secret Chronicles of Dr. M, or ReTux suit your needs? (Not to mention, if you wanted to do that with ReTux, I would just straight-up give you the password to it without charging you.)
3. Do you have any idea how far PGE has come and how capable SMBX (which PGE is designed to be compatible with) is as a Mario engine?

Your stated motivation (which is just a long-winded way of saying "laziness") just doesn't make sense given all of these points. The way I see it, you have four options that are both easier and more worthwhile than what you have chosen to do. The only downside to any of these is that you have to learn another programming language and game engine to program for them, but if you are unwilling to learn new programming languages, why do you want to do any programming at all? Why not just contribute art or whatever it is that you actually want to do to an existing project?

Even if you just want specific changes and aren't willing to learn the language so you can do it yourself, you can hire a programmer to do so. Heck, I would probably accept the job personally, especially if it was for ReTux.

I appreciate your tenacity in talking to me. Now let me address your points.

1. Well, that's true. Luckily, the music and quite a few of the sound effects can be directly ripped from SuperTux. Not only will the sprites be a great resource even outside of Hello Engine, but I've finally settled on a style that seems easy enough for other people to make it in their own projects while still looking good, and not just necessarily "programmer-y".
2. That's quite a generous offer, especially since I am a stranger to you. I will address this point later...
3. Same.

Alright, the reason I want to stick with Game Maker is that the code generally makes sense in how it executes and in how it translates to the screen. For example, in a create event, I can see that an alarm will be triggered in 60 frames, which spawns a projectile, which then triggers an alarm in 60 frames, etc... and then you have a basic projectile enemy. The "event" usage in Game Maker makes a lot of sense to me, because, for instance, the object's initialization, step event (questions that are checked every frame), alarms and user-defined events, and draw events are segregated. The program also has a great GUI which allows me to make edits to these in separate windows, and then the program compiles them to a single file... but then when I check them again it re-separates them so I can get back to developing! If I am being ignorant on other languages, then please feel free to tell me. So not only is this engine feature-complete, but it is also relatively easy to add new features. If you wouldn't mind, I would be flattered if you could take a screenshot of one of ReTux's object's code so I can see how you are doing it in SGE. And as for how it's not a good programming practice to be scared of new languages... well, I don't call myself a programmer. This is a hobby project. I won't be doing any more coding until the the makeover is complete, and if I were to release a game, it would be released for no charge.

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [tr]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:46 pm 
User avatar
jojojo
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
My game, probably. But what about Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, and Mario Builder? Those games definitely deserved their popular reputation.
MKF was made by a team and could easily use a custom engine, and Mario Builder was pretty bad.

Oh and FYI, so far Nintendo only DMCA'd popular fangames that are remakes of older games. Like that SM64 remake, Super Mario Remaker, No Mario's Sky, AM2R etc... Pokemon fangames are an exception because AFAIK they are getting DMCA'd by The Pokemon Company, not Nintendo. Super Mario Bros X is also another exception because its domain was SuperMarioBrothers.org.

I'm not gonna try to change your opinion despite what I think about it, tho. If you wanna use Tux as your main character, go on. It doesn't matter much.

_________________
Image
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:59 pm 
User avatar
もう帰らない
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
I would be flattered if you could take a screenshot of one of ReTux's object's code so I can see how you are doing it in SGE.

No need for a screenshot; actual text is better.

This is the base class all "interactive objects", including enemies, ultimately inherit:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using python Syntax Highlighting
class InteractiveObject(sge.dsp.Object):

    active_range = ENEMY_ACTIVE_RANGE
    killed_by_void = True
    always_active = False
    never_active = False
    always_tangible = False
    never_tangible = False
    knockable = False
    burnable = False
    freezable = False
    blastable = False
    activated = False
    parent = None
    warping = False

    def activate(self):
        self.activated = True
        if not self.never_tangible:
            self.tangible = True
        if not self.never_active:
            self.active = True

    def deactivate(self):
        self.activated = False
        if not self.always_active:
            self.active = False
        if not self.always_tangible:
            self.tangible = False

    def update_active(self):
        if not self.warping:
            for view in sge.game.current_room.views:
                if (self.bbox_left <= (view.x + view.width +
                                       self.active_range) and
                        self.bbox_right >= view.x - self.active_range and
                        self.bbox_top <= (view.y + view.height +
                                          self.active_range) and
                        self.bbox_bottom >= view.y - self.active_range):
                    if not self.activated:
                        self.activate()
                    break
            else:
                if self.activated:
                    self.deactivate()

            void_y = sge.game.current_room.height + self.active_range
            if self.killed_by_void and self.bbox_top > void_y:
                self.destroy()

    def get_nearest_player(self):
        player = None
        dist = 0
        for obj in sge.game.current_room.objects:
            if isinstance(obj, Player):
                ndist = math.hypot(self.x - obj.x, self.y - obj.y)
                if player is None or ndist < dist:
                    player = obj
                    dist = ndist
        return player

    def set_direction(self, direction):
        self.image_xscale = abs(self.image_xscale) * direction

    def move(self):
        pass

    def touch(self, other):
        pass

    def stomp(self, other):
        self.touch(other)

    def knock(self, other=None):
        pass

    def burn(self):
        pass

    def freeze(self):
        pass

    def blast(self):
        self.burn()

    def kick(self):
        self.drop()

    def drop(self):
        if self.parent is not None:
            self.parent.drop_object()
            self.parent = None

    def kick_up(self):
        self.kick()

    def touch_death(self):
        if self.parent is None:
            play_sound(fall_sound, self.x, self.y)
            DeadMan.create(self.x, self.y, self.z, sprite=self.sprite,
                           xvelocity=self.xvelocity, yvelocity=0,
                           image_xscale=self.image_xscale,
                           image_yscale=-abs(self.image_yscale))
            self.destroy()

    def project_light(self):
        pass

    def event_create(self):
        InteractiveObject.deactivate(self)

    def event_begin_step(self, time_passed, delta_mult):
        if not self.warping:
            self.move()
        elif self.xvelocity:
            self.image_xscale = math.copysign(self.image_xscale, self.xvelocity)

    def event_step(self, time_passed, delta_mult):
        self.update_active()

    def event_collision(self, other, xdirection, ydirection):
        if isinstance(other, Death):
            self.touch_death()

    def event_destroy(self):
        if self.parent is not None:
            self.parent.drop_object()
            self.parent = None
 


And this, for example, is the walking snowball (it specifically inherits various classes with pre-defined behaviors of various kinds):

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using python Syntax Highlighting
class WalkingSnowball(CrowdObject, KnockableObject, BurnableObject,
                      WinPuffObject):

    freezable = True

    def __init__(self, x, y, z=0, **kwargs):
        kwargs["sprite"] = snowball_walk_sprite
        sge.dsp.Object.__init__(self, x, y, z, **kwargs)

    def touch(self, other):
        other.hurt()

    def stomp(self, other):
        other.stomp_jump(self)
        play_sound(squish_sound, self.x, self.y)
        sge.game.current_room.add_points(ENEMY_KILL_POINTS)
        Corpse.create(self.x, self.y, self.z, sprite=snowball_squished_sprite,
                      image_xscale=self.image_xscale,
                      image_yscale=self.image_yscale)
        self.destroy()

    def knock(self, other=None):
        super(WalkingSnowball, self).knock(other)
        sge.game.current_room.add_points(ENEMY_KILL_POINTS)

    def burn(self):
        super(WalkingSnowball, self).burn()
        sge.game.current_room.add_points(ENEMY_KILL_POINTS)

    def freeze(self):
        self.burn()
 

_________________
https://onpon4.github.io
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:24 am 
User avatar
HAHAHA I KNEW IT
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

P-Star7 wrote:
Yeah, I'm sorry about this, but the ball is in Nintendo's court. If you think your cause is worthy enough, you could go to their support website, select Corporate, then Legal, then use the email option. But if they say no, then that is their legally binding stance. And that's what I'm saying about the media. If it being a fangame causes it to have a cap on how popular it can be before Nintendo stops development, then that doesn't sound at all like what I'd want to develop. Games are meant to be developed to the best of your ability and played by as many people as possible that like it, not just left in a niche site because it's a Nintendo IP.

I don't understand your point in context. You quoted my post with this reply, but you didn't really address anything I said.

On its own, though, your argument is generally valid. However, bear in mind that some fangames are popular only because they are fangames. You said this earlier:
P-Star7 wrote:
Nintendo can't accuse you of ... using their property to prop up a lousy game [if it is a SuperTux fangame].


Nintendo, to the best of my knowledge, has never accused any fangame of this. But many fangames *cough* *hack* *wheeze* really are only popular because they're fangames. So, you're right!

... right?

Naw, 'cause you're missing a fundamental point. I draw attention to this part of your post:
P-Star7 wrote:
Games are meant to be developed to the best of your ability and played by as many people as possible that like it, not just left in a niche site because it's a Nintendo IP.


This just ain't true. Games, like all artistic mediums, are meant to express creativity. They aren't necessarily meant to be judged or even consumed. They often are, but they only need to be something the developer(s) wanted to make. From what you've said, I gather that you lack the creative agency to do what you really want to do, and are instead, on some level, letting the lure of popularity make your decisions. Every popular contemporary artist I can think of off the top of my head has said that popularity and success comes from making a unique product and finding your niche. Folks who seek out Internet fame scarcely find it, because they aren't driven primarily by passion.

If you want to make a Mario fangame because it's Mario, then make a Mario fangame. Ditto for SuperTux. Don't make a fangame because you want to attract the fangame-niche. Even if these two goals overlap, you're still doing it wrong. I can say from first-hand experience and external observation that fangames attract the most amount of players when they are based on a newly-released popular video game.

When Super Mario Maker came out, loads of folks, particularly folks from third world countries, wanted to play a Mario Maker clone on PC. Scores of Mario Maker fangames came out, and scores of people played them. Most fangame-players aren't dedicated fangame-players, they just want something to meet their niche on a whim. I am not particularly immersed in the SuperTux community, but I doubt that there is currently a high demand for a SuperTux fangame. If popularity is your only goal, then you won't succeed with SuperTux.

If you won't be super popular either way, then is there a reason to make a SuperTux fangame instead of what you (presumably) really want to make?

'Cause ****.

I sure can't think of any.

I mean, if SuperTux is what you want, it's what you want. You should go for it. But don't do so to ***** downloads. You even admit that it's unlikely this game will be as popular as AM2R:
P-Star7 wrote:
Mors wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but your fangame probably won't be as popular as AM2R if you have to use Hello Engine to make it.

My game, probably. But what about Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, and Mario Builder? Those games definitely deserved their popular reputation.


So if you don't think its potential popularity will be problematic, why are you making drastic creative decisions based on an irrelevant precedent?

_________________
Image
My mains
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:26 am 
User avatar
Member
[*]
Willsaber wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:
Yeah, I'm sorry about this, but the ball is in Nintendo's court. If you think your cause is worthy enough, you could go to their support website, select Corporate, then Legal, then use the email option. But if they say no, then that is their legally binding stance. And that's what I'm saying about the media. If it being a fangame causes it to have a cap on how popular it can be before Nintendo stops development, then that doesn't sound at all like what I'd want to develop. Games are meant to be developed to the best of your ability and played by as many people as possible that like it, not just left in a niche site because it's a Nintendo IP.

I don't understand your point in context. You quoted my post with this reply, but you didn't really address anything I said.

On its own, though, your argument is generally valid. However, bear in mind that some fangames are popular only because they are fangames. You said this earlier:
P-Star7 wrote:
Nintendo can't accuse you of ... using their property to prop up a lousy game [if it is a SuperTux fangame].


Nintendo, to the best of my knowledge, has never accused any fangame of this. But many fangames *cough* *hack* *wheeze* really are only popular because they're fangames. So, you're right!

... right?

Naw, 'cause you're missing a fundamental point. I draw attention to this part of your post:
P-Star7 wrote:
Games are meant to be developed to the best of your ability and played by as many people as possible that like it, not just left in a niche site because it's a Nintendo IP.


This just ain't true. Games, like all artistic mediums, are meant to express creativity. They aren't necessarily meant to be judged or even consumed. They often are, but they only need to be something the developer(s) wanted to make. From what you've said, I gather that you lack the creative agency to do what you really want to do, and are instead, on some level, letting the lure of popularity make your decisions. Every popular contemporary artist I can think of off the top of my head has said that popularity and success comes from making a unique product and finding your niche. Folks who seek out Internet fame scarcely find it, because they aren't driven primarily by passion.

If you want to make a Mario fangame because it's Mario, then make a Mario fangame. Ditto for SuperTux. Don't make a fangame because you want to attract the fangame-niche. Even if these two goals overlap, you're still doing it wrong. I can say from first-hand experience and external observation that fangames attract the most amount of players when they are based on a newly-released popular video game.

When Super Mario Maker came out, loads of folks, particularly folks from third world countries, wanted to play a Mario Maker clone on PC. Scores of Mario Maker fangames came out, and scores of people played them. Most fangame-players aren't dedicated fangame-players, they just want something to meet their niche on a whim. I am not particularly immersed in the SuperTux community, but I doubt that there is currently a high demand for a SuperTux fangame. If popularity is your only goal, then you won't succeed with SuperTux.

If you won't be super popular either way, then is there a reason to make a SuperTux fangame instead of what you (presumably) really want to make?

'Cause ****.

I sure can't think of any.

I mean, if SuperTux is what you want, it's what you want. You should go for it. But don't do so to ***** downloads. You even admit that it's unlikely this game will be as popular as AM2R:
P-Star7 wrote:
Mors wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but your fangame probably won't be as popular as AM2R if you have to use Hello Engine to make it.

My game, probably. But what about Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, and Mario Builder? Those games definitely deserved their popular reputation.


So if you don't think its potential popularity will be problematic, why are you making drastic creative decisions based on an irrelevant precedent?

Thank you. However, I'm really not trying to use SuperTux just because it's popular. I'm using it because I'm honestly uncreative and feel more comfortable modifying a base concept rather than coming up with one of my own. I loved playing SuperTux when I was a kid, so why not this? For example, Tux has never fought the villain Nolok in SuperTux, because the game is not done yet (and the version I played as a child had a castle with no boss in it, just an extro :angry: ), but now, I can finally realize this! Also, if I were trying to be popular, I would just modify what I needed for my own SuperTux game instead of everything in Hello Engine so others can use it as well, because that is the message of this project.

Onpon4: Sorry, but I am tired, so I will get to this as soon as possible. Thank you for the codeboxes.

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:54 am 
User avatar
I, Papyrus, am awesome!
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:
My game, probably. But what about Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, and Mario Builder? Those games definitely deserved their popular reputation.
MKF was made by a team and could easily use a custom engine, and Mario Builder was pretty bad.

Oh and FYI, so far Nintendo only DMCA'd popular fangames that are remakes of older games. Like that SM64 remake, Super Mario Remaker, No Mario's Sky, AM2R etc... Pokemon fangames are an exception because AFAIK they are getting DMCA'd by The Pokemon Company, not Nintendo. Super Mario Bros X is also another exception because its domain was SuperMarioBrothers.org.

I'm not gonna try to change your opinion despite what I think about it, tho. If you wanna use Tux as your main character, go on. It doesn't matter much.

What about the non-remake Nintendo games on Gamejolt that got DMCA'd? How do you explain that?

_________________
My games:
Spoiler:

What I also support:
Spoiler:
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:42 am 
User avatar
HAHAHA I KNEW IT
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

TrinitroMan wrote:
What about the non-remake Nintendo games on Gamejolt that got DMCA'd? How do you explain that?

Are you talking about the 500 fangames they took down that everybody freaked out over last year? Because that was due to them being able to be sold.

_________________
Image
My mains
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm 
User avatar
Member
Where's the "DROP OUTLINES HERE" folder?

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 pm 
User avatar
Member
[*]
Poudink wrote:
Where's the "DROP OUTLINES HERE" folder?

Sorry, GitHub must have deleted the folder when I committed the project since it was empty. I'll try again.

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:11 pm 
User avatar
もう帰らない
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Not quite. Git doesn't recognize directories, only files. So an empty directory is simply ignored by Git.

The usual way to get around this is to put a blank text file in the otherwise empty directory.

_________________
https://onpon4.github.io
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:22 am 
User avatar
Member
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
Not quite. Git doesn't recognize directories, only files. So an empty directory is simply ignored by Git.

The usual way to get around this is to put a blank text file in the otherwise empty directory.

Thanks. Actually, that's what I just did in my last commit!

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Hello Tux Engine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:11 am 
User avatar
Member
[*]
I was thinking of replacing the Super Mario World characters (Galoomba, Rex, etc.) with Secret Maryo Chronicles characters, since that game is based on Super Mario World primarily and this would maintain the feeling of being in another land. What do you guys think?

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 29 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 


Who is online

Users browsing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group