MFGG Forums
DEMO MFGG Emblem - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: DEMO MFGG Emblem (/showthread.php?tid=1202)

Pages: 1 2

MFGG Emblem - VinnyVideo - 07-28-2018

Download it here!

[Image: MFGG%20Emblem_Demo.png]

I've been threatening to make this for over three years. And now I finally made it! Or at least a demo of it.

So what is this, you might ask? It's a Fire Emblem-like SRPG with a zany, irreverent tone and chapters inspired by everybody's favorite fangames galaxy! Each chapter is based on a different fangame series or community happening. It's a throwback to the days when people did stuff like this more often, although I hope it'll be fun even for those unfamiliar with the characters and scenarios.

This is a four-chapter demo. Many things are subject to change, but I hope you can see through the placeholder graphics and dormant engine bugs.

There's a full credits section in the readme file, but @Beatrice and @Nite Shadow get big thanks for making cool art that I used in this, and @fireball3k deserves a shoutout for encouraging me to make this happen.

If people like this, I'd be happy to expand on this project! A full-fledged "Mario Emblem" crossover is probably too ambitious, but I'd love to add more MFGG-based characters and chapters.

Known Issues
Want to be in this?
Want to design a chapter?
I can't promise I'll accept every request, but if your game is notable and you make things easy for me, I'll probably say yes.[/spoiler]

RE: MFGG Emblem - Kritter - 07-28-2018

I should probably be in there somewhere.

RE: MFGG Emblem - VinnyVideo - 07-28-2018

(07-28-2018, 10:12 PM)Kritter Wrote: I should probably be in there somewhere.
Indeed! Check out Chapter 4.

RE: MFGG Emblem - Friendly Dictator - 07-28-2018

it's cool because i'm in it

RE: MFGG Emblem - Hyper - 07-29-2018

Oh god this is beautiful!

RE: MFGG Emblem - VinnyVideo - 07-29-2018

I've gotten some reports of a bug where you can move characters an endless number of times if you view their stats at the right time. I added this to my "to fix" list, and I'll patch it in the next update.

Overly Detailed Sprite Stuff

RE: MFGG Emblem - Yakibomb - 07-30-2018

I love this tech demo! Admittedly I never played Fire Emblem don't hurt me but I kind of get part of the gist of it. MFGG Emblem sounds like it could be a lot of fun to make and to play!

If I may suggest a chapter:

-I'd also appreciate being in it, even if I was a one-time character. I wouldn't know what class to be though... My main weapon would be a Koopa shell (specifically the Lazy Shell) and maybe I could just be an Archer with a unique weapon?

-I would also like to contribute sprites for the sake of the game! Not sure how to draw them though.

RE: MFGG Emblem - DustinVG - 07-30-2018

Pretty fun for what it is! The menus seemed a bit buggy at points, letting you open up menus on top of menus, seemed like, but with a few well-placed variables and if statements, it should be easy to fix.

RE: MFGG Emblem - VinnyVideo - 07-30-2018

@Dustinvgmaster (and others who reported similar bugs): I *think* I've patched all the problems with menus being able to open on top of other menus, as well as the "being able to move endlessly" problem. These should be fixed when I release the next update.

@Yakibomb Don't worry - I won't hurt you with a Killing Edge or anything! That chapter idea is really cool - I'll see if I can make it happen! Your character was on my "characters who should maybe be in this" list, and if you can get me a few good sprites, I'd be happy to add a fat rat to this. You can probably use the existing rips as a starting point.

RE: MFGG Emblem - GamerInGeorgia - 07-30-2018

I played a bit and it's pretty nice! I played some of FE: Sacred Stones and I got a similar vibe from your game. Also, do you plan to have the fight scenes? Having those in the game would be cool. But, if you don't want to have fight scenes, then maybe you should have a message box say "_____ dealt 25 damage to _____!" or "_____'s attack missed!" since it's a little confusing when you just here a sound effect and no message about who got damaged or if your attack hit at all. But overall, I can't wait to see a final product. Maybe I'll make some sprites for myself and get myself in the game!

RE: MFGG Emblem - littlelum - 07-30-2018

I when I pressed spacebar to view the general stats, I found that other buttons would still register, making possible to accidentally screw up the game

RE: MFGG Emblem - fireball3k - 07-31-2018

i encouraged you to make this happen? i forget doing so, haha

i'm sure you've got it hidden away in Note.TXT that i did so, though!

RE: MFGG Emblem - Cruise Elroy - 07-31-2018

I'm pretty garbage at Fire Emblem games, but what I could play was pretty fun. Looking forward to seeing more, even if I might not be able to enjoy it to its fullest extent!

RE: MFGG Emblem - VinnyVideo - 08-06-2018

@GamerInGeorgia I'm glad you enjoyed it! The game is heavily inspired by the GBA-era Fire Emblem games, especially Sacred Stones and FE7.

I can't promise we'll have fancy battle animations like those in the official FE games. This would be a moderate amount of work on the programming side, and a massive amount of work on the spriting side. Even the NES games have a lot of detail in those animations. Also, a lot of players choose to disable these animations anyway. However, I'm planning to add better visual and audible feedback for the battles.

If you'd like to make some sprites and get a cameo, that would be awesome indeed!

@littlelum Good catch! I fixed this bug.

@fireball3k You're almost right - but that would live in a different file! But yeah, I'm glad that you've let me use you a sounding board for my thoughts on MFGG Emblem and Fire Emblem in Real Life Team Projects™.

@Cruise Elroy Thanks! You won't need a PhD in SRPG Strategy to play this - this game will never reach Thracia 776 difficulty! Unless I add an optional Lunatic++ mode...

RE: MFGG Emblem - Zero Kirby - 08-07-2018

I definitely love the icon for the game.

I'm not big on the Fire Emblem games myself but it seems like you've got a fairly sound framework here! Good luck with the rest.

RE: MFGG Emblem - SonicZetrex - 08-07-2018

Yikes! It seems like an excellent strategy game involves some cooperation that may be quite a challenge. Though, I would love to cooperate! Other Big Brin

RE: MFGG Emblem - Xander - 09-02-2018

Nice stuff, I just played through Chapter 1. Smile

I've always wanted to make a Wars/Emblem style of tactics game. Very cool.

RE: MFGG Emblem - Q-Nova - 09-03-2018

I'll say that I wasn't really expecting this to show up (and I don't mean it in a bad way). I have checked out the demo some time ago, where I got through chapter 1 and checked out the other chapters just to see what their premises are and what are their map layouts like. I liked what I have seen. The chapter stories are neat; I'm looking forward to seeing the rest. Wink

RE: MFGG Emblem - Gato - 09-08-2018

This looks very impressive. I hope this project sees a release date.

EDIT: If you need more staff icons for this project, I'd be glad to lend a hand.

RE: MFGG Emblem - VinnyVideo - 07-21-2019

Giving this a bumpety-bump because there's been a surge in interest in MFGG lore lately. This is one of the relatively few "games about MFGG" that have been made in recent years, even if this one is crawling with bugs!

I haven't done much with this game in recent months, but I'm still interested in adding more chapters. If you'd like to see this happen, feel free to share more sprites, art, and ideas, and you might just see them in the next version of this!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.